Passlock Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yes, it saves the re-learned resistor indefinitely until its programmed to another one, just like when they program it the first time at the factory. Only have to do 1 re-learn.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Should not if you put the same ECM back in the truck. If it has been changed, you will need to do a re-learn tho. ECM and column have to stay together, otherwise, you will have to program it.

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
Great write up. Just to clarify you leave the connector unplugged after you splice in the resistor?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

98_k1500

Reaction score
Correct. I just cut mine off and heat shrinked the whole resistor and connections.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I would like to point out that GMT400 trucks (aside from the escalades/denalis in 99-00) do not have a Body Control Module. They just have a ECM.

Also, not all passlock issues are related to the column sensor. If you have the "Security" light solid on and wont turn off, or it doesn't illuminate at all, then you likely have a problem with the passlock module. It's located under the Slave CD/storage pocket and a real pain to get to. In 98+ trucks, the passlock and EVO steering are in the same module. The 1500, 2500/3500 trucks all have different part numbers for the passlock module. I went through 2 of them in my 99 K2500 because the truck had some interesting electrical issues and they failed. Column switch had no problems.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Im guessing junkyard parts would be your best bet to find one of these in the event anyone needs one?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would like to point out that GMT400 trucks (aside from the escalades/denalis in 99-00) do not have a Body Control Module. They just have a ECM.

Well, if we're gonna split technical hairs, anything 91-up with the 4L80E, or 93-up with 4L60E/4L80E, would have a PCM, not an ECM (other than the diesels that just have TCM's)

And depending on what reference you look at, 98-up has a "BCM" of sorts - or at least that's where they're telling you the TDM (theft deterrent module) is contained, as part of the Passlock system.

Sorry for the semi-sidetrack..

Richard