Help needed. Ignition tumbled replaced, tripped Passlock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scjarena

Reaction score
I replaced the ignition key tumbler, now it won't start. I did have the neg battery cable off for about an hour or so. It starts for sec or two then dies.

Looks like the passlock needs to be reset. I tried a few time with the key on for 10mins, off, 10 secs attempt to start and repeat. still not start. I don't see any chip in the key, so why would the passlock do this? Any help would be appreciated, need to get this back on the road.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT attempt to start during the reset procedure. Hook up a charger to the battery, it takes about 30 minutes.
Key on (no start) until security light goes out (about 10 minutes) Key off.
Repeat that process twice more.
Next time start it and it should stay lit.

Scjarena

Reaction score
Ok, I had to take the whole damn tumbler off and now I see there is like a magnet or something on the OEM that the anti theft system picks up. My replacement tumbler didn't have it. I might be able to remove it and put on the new one, othewise I'll have to get a correct replacement. I put the old one back on and it starts right up.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you got the wrong tumbler. 1995-1997 is one design, you need one for 1998-up. 1998 is first year for Passlock so the older tumblers won't work for you.

Richard