oil filter adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay, then if it's like the one I have, its just a standard fiber gasket between the adapter and the block, where the adapter bolts on with the 2 bolts....then the filter screws on, and the O-ring on the filter will seal around everything on the block....its a pretty easy setup...and I'm not used to working on the 4wd trucks, but on my 2wd, it has tons of room for the filter, enough to even run a 7qt pan with side kickouts and not have any problems with space.

also make sure you're getting the 2wd filters (which should be the same as the big block filters IIRC), they're larger in diameter than the 4wd filters that mount on that angled adapter.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have room for that size with the kickouts on my oil pan, I doubt the OP would with all the 4WD components up there.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did it last nite, the gasket set they gave me,different then the last time, this one was a help! one, i think last time it was a felpro, the only one that matched up was one that was fiber on both sides, and metal inside, i ended up just reusing the old one, hadnt been on long, looked ok, we'll see if that was a bad choice if i get leaks
i used a ph 33 i believe, has plenty of room, have maybe an inch before it hits drive shaft, thats right at the universal joint though so the longer filter may not work, but i feel like the 33 has to be about the same size as the skinny 4wd filter, I'll have to get a tape and measure, i have one of the big filters sitting in the trash
other then that, i love having the filter straight down, so much easier to stick your hand there and tighten, only question is not sure if lowering the truck would have any effect

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guess i'll have to try
wasnt sure if everthing moved independantly or not

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Yer prolly fine. All the movement is at the front wheels. I'd just get nervous havin my filter that close to a spinnin u-joint. (4wd engaged)

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its rare for me to acctualy use the 4wd, but i think it has enough clearance, I'll post if i have any problems, incase anyone else is interested in switching

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
Well as fate would have it, my oil adapter blew a brand new gasket. Not sure why. The gasket seemed too large to me. that may have been it. Also the o-ring was leaking severely. I,m gonna reseal it with rtv around the o-ring and bolts. :think:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never had to RTV the Oring or fiber gasket on mine. personally I don't like using RTV in pressurized areas of the oil system.