oil filter adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have k1500, dont like how the filter is, switching to the peice so i can have the filter straight down, i have the peice, just not sure if it needs a gasket or not, i think i have a gasket thats close to right, not exactly right, but it may seal all right
it does seem to be leaking oil around bolts for the oil filter adapter, not sure if i needed to put sealer on them when i put them in or not

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that sticky is for the adapter, he removed his and wants to know about the reg. old school one using a gasket or not.

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
They both require a gasket. The base is the same. Use the proper gasket with RTV sealant. It will leak otherwise. I think the new set is under $12.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i got the gasket set for the adapter, trying to remember,it might of had 2 gaskets like the one i have, but maybe the other one, the one i used was bigger, maybe i'll just get another set and check
but the rtv, should i do that on both sides?
anything on the bolts?

shelbyt.67

Weirdo
Reaction score
If I remember correctly there's several diff gaskets in the set. u will need the large o-ring and the gasket that best fits the base of the new adapter. On RTV I smear both sides of the gasket, cover the whole gasket, medium layer not too goopy. Like a thin cake icing.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you have a link to the adapter your using? different adapters will require differet sealing setups...like, you mentioned going from the angled adapter to just straight down...are you using a 2wd type adapter and keeping the oil cooler/lines, or are you ditching the oil cooler/lines and using an older style adapter that the filter seals to the block with?

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no oil cooler, filter goes to block, never had oil cooler lines hooked up since i've owned it
i have the peice from the 2wd i pulled off the 89 when i did the engine swap

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure on the '89's piece, but when I removed the 2wd adapter w/ cooler lines from mine, the replacement I used on it only had a fiber gasket between the adapter and the block. I can't remember what brand mine is, I think its delco, but its the same design as this type:
You must be registered for see images attach

on other adapters like the ones with the cooler lines on it, and probably others, have another o-ring seal on the adapter itself.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats what i have, assuming one of the gaskets in the oil filter adapter set work on it, will see tonite when i stop at store