New headliner and door panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will I saved your number hopefully you saved mine if not let me know. If you need a spare set of hands to help out with anything or just a guy to drink beer and watch I'm in lol. Thanks radical it's at the top of the list for my favorite things done. I am going to get more photos and pictures to help when I do the drivers side, and the bottoms of the doors.

Yeah I have it, I will keep you in mind!

am92

Fightin' Texas Aggie
Reaction score
Looks great man! I'm really going to have to consider doing my door panel inserts like that, looks :boobs:

Mschaffer92

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey where did you buy the fabric from? My cousin said to go to walmart and buy the mossy oak one but I really dont like it all that much.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I don't want to do mine in camo. I just would like to know how to do it.

I don't know what body style of GMT400 you have. There are two styles of H/L. A smaller vinyl covered one that comes in the '95-'98 reg. cabs, & a larger one in the older models, ext. cabs & crew cabs.
The larger ones are a bit more work to get out.
Either way, the process is pretty well the same.
Pull off the 'A' pillar plastic covers. They just pull off. If you have an 'Oh-****' handle on the passenger side pillar, pull off the 2 small plug covers on it to get at the screws that hold it on. A small flat screwdriver works. Same goes for the handle over the passenger seat on the H/L.
If you have the older style reg. cab, or the larger sized H/L, there will be a large plastic panel across the roof, over the rear window. You DO NOT have to remove that. Just take out the interior light so that the panel is not held tight to the roof.
Remove the O/H console if you have one.
On the leading edge of the H/L, above the front window, there is some velcro between the metal roof, & the H/L. Use a butter knife, or a plastic window tool to get between the two pieces of velcro & carefully seperate it. There are four places where there is velcro up there. As you get one section apart, stick a piece of paper in between the velcro, so that it doesn't stick back together as you get at the other sections of velcro.
Take the visors out. As you do this the H/L is going to want to fall down in the front, so I'll use something to hold it up, such as a broom handle with a rag or chunk of fabric on it to hold it up. Wedge the broom handle (or whatever) between the H/L & the floor or seat. Not too hard though, just enough to hold it up.
Depending on the type of H/L you have, the only place that the H/L is now attached is at the back (big H/L) or at the side with some plastic push in plugs.
This where you will need some help with larger H/L's. Wiggle the H/L forward out from under the large roof panel plastic. It'll probably want to hook up on top of the mirror. That's O.K.
On the reg. cabs, once the plastic plugs are out, the H/L will practically fall out. The larger ones will have to be slightly bent in order to get them out of the door. If you have bucket seats, slide 'em as far forward as possible, then recline the backrests.

Throw a blanket or something on the bench to protect the H/L. Put the H/L panel on the bench so that you are looking at the side that was against the ceiling of the truck. Start peeling back the H/L fabric that is wrapped around the edges.
Once that's done, flip it over, & carefully start to peel the fabric/vinyl off. There is a layer of 1/8" foam between the fabric & the panel. Doesn't matter if that screws up, it will be replaced.
Now that the fabric is off, you'll be left with the old foam on the panel. I use a 60 or 100 grit sanding disc folded in 1/2 to sand that off. Start from one side & work to the other. Sand LIGHTLY. it doesn't take much to get it off.
Now that the panel is down to the base, blow or brush all the foam crud off. If blowing it off, keep a fair distance away from the panel. The high pressure air can it apart.
Lay the new H/L fabric over the panel & trim it so that there is about 6-8" of extra hanging off all around.
If you're not using 'real' H/L fabric that comes with the 1/8" foam already attached to it, I recommend putting some 1/8" foam on the panel before the fabric. Makes for a better finished product. If you are going in this direction, the following procedure is the same, you just have to do it twice.
Roll the material back half way across the panel, from one side to the other.
Spray a LIGHT coat of glue on the exposed H/L panel & fabric.
I recommend '3M 90'. Comes in an aerosol, & has an adjustable spray tip. I but it by the case, but at a hardware store, expect to pay about $30.00 for a can. '3M 76' can also be used. DO NOT use that stuff called 'Feather Spray'. It's a headache in a can!
Let the glue dry. Up to an hour. This is for a reason. It puts a slight skin on the foam, & prevents the next coat of glue from soaking in to the fabric. The next coat of glue can be slightly heavier. Don't soak the fabric (or the foam) Let the glue dry, about 10 minutes or so.
Slowly start from the middle of the H/L, & lay the material back over the panel, watching out for wrinkles. The hard part is in the front corners, by the holes for the visors. Hold the fabric in one hand, & work it down to the corner. The proper H/L material has a stretch to it, so you can that to your advantage. Don't stretch it too hard, just enough to help get the wrinkles out.
Don't press too hard on the fabric when installing it to the panel. Because the glue hasn't completly set up, at any spot where you push to hard, it will cause the glue to make the foam collapse & stick onto itself. Then those marks are there forever.
Repeat for the other 1/2.
Now that the material is on, turn the H/L over. Make sure that it's on the blanket to prevent any damage. Spray the edge of the panel & the overhanging material with another coat of glue. Wrap the material around the edge. Don't worry about wrinkles here.
Any bunching up of the material can be cut off, once you've gone all the way around the edge, attaching it.
You may have to cut some reliefs in the material in order for it to fit some of the curves in the panel. Stay about 1/2-3/4" away from the panel when making the relief cuts. If it doesn't want to fit without ripping at this point, cut more reliefs. Don''t cut the ones in there already, deeper.
All the holes in the H/L panel I cut from the backside.
Re-install is the opposite order of the removal.

Hope this helps, & is not too confusing. Let me know if you have any "Q's".
Good Luck!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
How much fabric did wind using?
'Real' H/L material comes off the roll 54" wide. IIRC the H/L panels in these trucks (the widest ones) are about 50-51" wide. So however long, front to back, the H/L is in your truck is the amount of material needed. Always get more than what you need. That way you'll have enough for visors, &/or an O/H console.

mudeater

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'Real' H/L material comes off the roll 54" wide. IIRC the H/L panels in these trucks (the widest ones) are about 50-51" wide. So however long, front to back, the H/L is in your truck is the amount of material needed. Always get more than what you need. That way you'll have enough for visors, &/or an O/H console.

Glad to see you made it in here sewlow you have any recommendations for doing the bottom of the doors?

For the length of fabric I took a tape measure Got a rough estimate and added two inches for length I think I ended up getting 54~56 inch piece because what the had was wide enough. Plus that way I had excess. The door panels I bought a remnant piece they had for two dollars.