Drivers door window?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1995 GMC RCSB

Went to lower the drivers side window last night (power) and about half way down it fell forward (towards the front of the window opening) and I immediately stopped the window, it didn't break the window, thank goodness, always something, getting ready to buy parts for the drop and now this, welcome to the OBS life son, I didn't hear any type of metal falling in the door, anyway I researched this and nothing except for a video on some guy putting a self tapper screw in the window track thats on the metal door skin that the motor/regulator is attached to!! ?? Doesn't seem like the right way to fix this problem...

Is this a known problem with these windows? I have not gone out to tear apart the door to investigate it, trying to find out first what could be the problem, it has worked great until now, no binding noises, went up and down so smooth, I haven't messed with anything in there as there has been no need to until now, all I've done is replace the door panels about 6 months ago.

I have the watch with my handicapped daughter today, so not a lot of time to be in the garage to find out what happened, any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the door vent near the latch and peek inside with a flashlight. It should be obvious. Since there is no rattling, the front roller is still attached to the regulator. Either the window lift channel itself has issues, or the whole regulator has loosened up and allowed the roller to slip out the front of the lift channel.

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Keeper for the quick reply!!! Always learning something new, awesome info on the door vent to check out what's happened, any thoughts as to why the regulator would loosen up!? Just age? So maybe just a new regulator/and swap over OE motor, and then bolt assembly back in and NO rivets!?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The bottom of the glass has an attached channel that has the front and rear rollers that move in the tracks. Looks a little like this:

Sounds like the glass came out of this. The junkey fix guy was likely adding a screw or two to clamp it tighter at the bottom of the glass. Sounds like your glass has come out of that track.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks Keeper for the quick reply!!! Always learning something new, awesome info on the door vent to check out what's happened, any thoughts as to why the regulator would loosen up!? Just age? So maybe just a new regulator/and swap over OE motor, and then bolt assembly back in and NO rivets!?
Possibly a replacement regulator in there already and they used bolts instead of rivets, and the bolts have loosened up. Those regulators vary widely in quality though, so it could be anything. I have also seen the channel itself that @movietvet is focused on, completely rusted out from a bad exterior window seal. I've got a window stuck in the down position right now myself from stripped gear teeth on the motor (note to self: always make sure replacement window motors have steel gears).

95OBSMan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the glass came out of this. The junkey fix guy was likely adding a screw or two to clamp it tighter at the bottom of the glass. Sounds like your glass has come out of that track.
Good call, but in this case sir, NO CIGAR. I read your post all the time, thank you for your service and valuable information to this forum!!
Possibly a replacement regulator in there already and they used bolts instead of rivets, and the bolts have loosened up. Those regulators vary widely in quality though, so it could be anything. I have also seen the channel itself that @movietvet is focused on, completely rusted out from a bad exterior window seal. I've got a window stuck in the down position right now myself from stripped gear teeth on the motor (note to self: always make sure replacement window motors have steel gears)
Good call on this as well, but 0 for 2 guys.

So upon further review and instance replay & thanks to the knowledge and advice from Keeper, you can see that one of the arms' with the roller that is supposed to be in the track that is part of the interior metal plate which holds all of the related parts for regulator and motor is out of its track, the culprit behind this is what I'm going to call the window channel stop with the attached rubber pad (see photo 4) the lower stamped steel stop (spot welded @ the lower and upper portions) of said stop, it was the lower spot welds that tapped out after almost 30yrs of the window hitting it and or coming to rest on it!!

So of course this is not going to be an easy fix, at least for me, I'm going to try and do it as right as I can, so complete removal of that sharp as hell, black stamped steel inner door panel was called for, once removed a little friendly guidance from the pry bar and some hand bending was able to get it back up to where the spot welds are, and armed with the trusty impact with a nut driver and some self tappers through the bottom of the lower door skin and into the stop bracket and I'm gonna call that a win!!

After reinstalling all parts and door panel, it works as intended, on a side note I could've mig welded that stop back in place, but I didn't want to scorch the paint at the bottom of the door, and being JB weld certified, I put some on the exposed threads of the tappers in hopes that they won't back out over time, cause I really don't want to get back in there again!!!

Thanks again guys for the insight to possible problems it may have been or could have been, it is much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 11E724B0-54A7-4A1E-8565-B09F88C04104.jpeg
    11E724B0-54A7-4A1E-8565-B09F88C04104.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 46EB5B21-56C7-48C5-BFAA-30AEB8ACB429.jpeg
    46EB5B21-56C7-48C5-BFAA-30AEB8ACB429.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 11
  • D1FE4749-2C0F-4496-8919-175BD0B9EECA.jpeg
    D1FE4749-2C0F-4496-8919-175BD0B9EECA.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 8750C788-C8B0-4581-92DA-B5722A1FD75B.jpeg
    8750C788-C8B0-4581-92DA-B5722A1FD75B.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 11
  • EEBA896F-1E4E-44FB-B4E5-1CD740382057.jpeg
    EEBA896F-1E4E-44FB-B4E5-1CD740382057.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 11

ol blue

Reaction score
The only windows trouble I have had is the track on the front driver side busted loose inside and just needed to bolt it back together somehow, been many years ago since I done that idek what it looks like on there now a days

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Glad you got it fixed/patched. You know what needs to be done now. Get the parts and tools together. Get a friend or two that have some mechanical knowledge. Get a case of beer there for the 2-3 of you and a promise of pizza afterwards. Keep some medical ointment and pads and tape handy. But know this. It will not last indefinitely and will not break again in your driveway. Keep that window up as much as possible.

Last edited: