Electric to manual windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phd89

Reaction score
I have an 89 Chevy Scottsdale will manual windows, I need to replace the drivers door but can only find doors with electric windows. How do I convert the replacement door to manual windows

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
As long as you have the old manual door, strip everything down and replace the guts. They should all be the same door shell, I would look for a work truck door just to be sure though... Escalades or something higher end might have extra features?

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to go the other way! :) i bought a donor truck 89 2500 extended cab for the engine(350), 4spd tranny (700r4), bucket seats and (here we go..) discovered it has power windows and locks. Predictably, the Lu$t for the ability to pop the passenger side lock without reaching all the way across the cabin has set in and i have even contemplated the unnatural act of adding a remote opening capability. I have an 88 k1500 std cab w manual windows, i am very comfortable w the manual window guts due to door-a-palooza/door-mageddon 2023. I would want to keep my hardwon, good working doors and swap the guts. Anybody done it? Tips? tricks? Amusing observations?

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to go the other way! :) i bought a donor truck 89 2500 extended cab for the engine(350), 4spd tranny (700r4), bucket seats and (here we go..) discovered it has power windows and locks. Predictably, the Lu$t for the ability to pop the passenger side lock without reaching all the way across the cabin has set in and i have even contemplated the unnatural act of adding a remote opening capability. I have an 88 k1500 std cab w manual windows, i am very comfortable w the manual window guts due to door-a-palooza/door-mageddon 2023. I would want to keep my hardwon, good working doors and swap the guts. Anybody done it? Tips? tricks? Amusing observations?
It shouldn’t be that bad. You can wire it up the exact same way as the donor. Swap everything over to your doors and then wire it up.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like the worst thing will be making the hole on the truck side to get the cabling in. We shall see...

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the worst thing will be making the hole on the truck side to get the cabling in. We shall see...
I think the holes are there and have plastic plugs in them.

If I had manual window regulators that I knew were going to work forever I wouldn't give 'em up for electric,gonna eventually break regulators.
Just saying!

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I convert mine to manual but I'm way to lazy to reach across the truck and roll down a window. So I'll stay with my electric locks and windows and suffer through it all. It's not hard to convert manual to electric remember they are all built the same just have to knock some blanks out

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the holes are there and have plastic plugs in them.

If I had manual window regulators that I knew were going to work forever I wouldn't give 'em up for electric,gonna eventually break regulators.
Just saying!
Manual ones are pretty tough. Only reason i had to fool w mine was all the rubber was toast and the window channels were gone. I replaced em and they work great. I definitely have holes w the plugs on the door side but seems like no hole on the frame, will see if i get a chance to rip into it this weekend