Passenger door won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Natalie1981

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado Z71.
The inside passenger door handle snapped and obviously broke so I replaced it with a new one. After installing the new one, the door opened perfectly for like a day and a half. Unlocked the doors, mom went to get in and nothing....from the inside or the outside. Was able to get inner panel off and the metal panel unscrewed, sprayed WD-40 on the latch from the inside...tried opening the door(with both panels unattached) and it opened! So I WD-40'd the latch on the side of the door, screwed metal panel back on, tried opening the door again and NOTHING!! From inside or outside! BUT...this time I tried unlocking/locking the doors from my driver's door and that switch doesn't work. Door still opens fine on drivers side...thank God!
Now I'm stuck as what to do...does anyone know what could be wrong??

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rods that connect the handle and locking switch to the actual latch may have popped out of the clip at the latch or at the new handle. Need to see if the rods are connected or missing clips or what. rods are probably flopping around inside the door and not actually moving anything. I have replaced door handles and had it work fine and then the clip goes mia after a couple of days and then the door stops working and the car repair language begins...

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you manually manipulate the lock actuator once you got the panel off?

Have seen them not fully unlock from both the button and the normal lock slide you’d use under normal circumstances.

Pull the rod that connects to the actuator, make sure it’s fully unlocked.

If that doesn’t work, it’s most likely the rod issue mentioned above.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
never noticed missing rods or clip, but more than a few times gunked up rods within the system can cause issues, grease dries out, clean and lube stuff and go from there. You might have weak door lock actuator etc. but lubing up linkages is first.