Driver door stuck closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 2 Door Tahoe, drivers door is stuck closed.

I can hear the rods trying to actuate the latch, so I do believe they’re connected.

I just bought this truck & knew 100% the hinges and bushings needed replacing, as well as the striker. I ordered them from Cunningham Machine. The plan was to replace them on Saturday.

But now the door is stuck.

I watched the YouTube video with the guy soaking the latch in WD40, that hasn’t worked yet.

Think I’m gonna have to pull the door panel with it closed & hope I can figure it out.

I will remove the seats & console first.

But has anyone here ever tried to remove the panel with it closed?

Any tips of tricks for me? Or does anyone think there’s something else viable to try and do first?

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
My original driver's door would lock on it's own. Just closing the door was enough to make it lock.

Didn't fix it, since it had other issues, and replaced the whole door.

FA31

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welp just in case this post can help someone in the future…

Pulling the panel with the door closed is a breeze.

Just remove the seats and center console first.

Have some extra pegs on hand.

Got the mirror trim piece pretty easily. After that started at the latch side of the door, pulls away easily there. Worked my way toward the mirror side, two pegs were kinda boogers, so just pry away enough to cut them, boom panel is off!

Basically rebuilt the door with Cunningham Machine hinges, roller hinge, roller catch arm, striker & spring.

Then replaced the door latch assembly, lock actuator, cleaned the rods and re-greased them, replaced the interior handle, then Murphy reared his ugly and proved his law is still alive.

My brand new GM built exterior handle had bad threads from the factory.

So I put the rest of the door together, reinstalled the crappy Dorman handle, left the new lock cylinder off, and put the door back together.

Now I’ve gotta go back in there and replace that exterior door handle whenever I get the replacement unit ‍‍:893Chainsaw-Smilie-.

However, the door lines up perfectly now, and with CM hardware don’t think I’ll have any problems anytime soon.

Last edited: