Outside door handle won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97cheV8

Reaction score
The outside door handle on my 1997 Chevy 1500 gave out a couple of months ago. One of my cousins pulled real hard on it and I heard a click and something hit the bottom of the inside of the door. A day or so later, the locking cylinder fell inside too. The handle itself is intact, it's just a rod or something inside. The interior door handle still works. Anyone got any idea how to fix this? I've taken the panel out a couple of times but I can't figure what needs to be done.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remove inner door panel. Recover broken bits. Tells you what broke. Sounds like your gonna have to replace the out door handle. If you have not broke the tumbler , you will install it in new handle. If you don't have factory OE service manual. You can download free pdf inside the sticky above. It's not complicated but easier to follow the manual procedure. With the pics , and service steps. This the basic the handle . If you do your own work the manual is the bible for our trucks. This is what you'll find in the manual. All the procedures are in the " Body " section.
You must be registered for see images attach

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely new handle, make sure to get a couple of spare clips, the ones that hold the rod to the latch as yours may be rusted out, beat up or gone and the one on the end of the lock cylinder may be needed especially if it came apart on you and may be lost or if it shoots off into the yard when you are trying to put it together (which has totally never happened to me) Take your time - Its not hard but its finicky. Sometimes helpful to loosen the latch a little to help get the rod in the right spot.