Frozen door lock cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 96 and the passenger side lock cylinder won’t rotate when I put the key in it. It locks and unlocks from the inside perfectly fine tho. Anyone know what could be wrong? Thanks
Do you have any Lock Ease or even some spray lubricant? Put the key partway into the cylinder, and spray some in the slot(the little door should be open so you can get some juice in there). Let it sit a couple minutes, to soak in, then put the key all the way in, and see if it will cycle back and forth between lock and unlock.
The little door on the lock cylinders is supposed to keep dirt out, but locks need a little lubrication periodically. Lots of tiny parts inside, that don't work together well when dry....

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not certain what the Newton spring rating is for the door thumb button... or the lift style door handle release...
That said, the spring gets worn out and the thumb button does not return to "Full Out" position, during normal use of the door latch release on almost every squarebody; eventually.

If you "snap" the door handle or "snap" the thumb release on a square body, the release mechanism will thrust the switch into a full Newton spring load and position the hasp release mechanism, so the key will rotate correctly.

I assure you, this will work so the key will rotate, until you can install the correct Newton loaded spring into the door handle/release mechanism.
Or just flick the handle or thumb button and turn the key, without replacing anything.

I admit, I stood there turning the key dozens of times, wondering why the new locks would not fix this issue...

Now I strike the thumb button and the key turns, every time, once reset.

Remember, the door latch and door handle, according the the CEO of Toyota, is 5 years mean time before failure.

All modern door handles are designed to frustrate the end user to buy a new vehicle, when they break and fail.
Door handle replacement on almost any vehicle, starts at $600 for labor, plus parts, at almost any local repair shop.

Flick the handle or thumb switch, save $600.
Simple.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Spraying some wd40 in the keyhole did the trick, thanks HotWheelsBurban
I have a can of lock spray in the passenger door pocket of my crew cab(or Burb when we're driving it). Along with the bag of wrenches for the battery terminals (on a one ton, on Houston streets, they vibrate loose !). I sprayed the door hinges and hood latch yesterday, once I got the starter changed. Been needing to for a while, I trying to get to it as monthly maintenance.
Crew cab has one of those freeflow tailgates, which is great to see behind you. But the latches on it need to be sprayed periodically too....I put the lock spray on it a couple days ago cause I didn't have my white lithium grease available. It freed up the latch that was frozen up!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WD40 will only last a short while. Get some graphite lube in there.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
WD40 will only last a short while. Get some graphite lube in there.
Yup that is the best thing to use!

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

How GM Invented Planned Obsolescence​

It all started with a struggling auto company in the 20s.
By
Ilana Strauss
Updated August 4, 2022

You must be registered for see images

Mrs. Winifred Woodbury at the wheel of a 1923 Cadillac.
Gostalgia Gosford Library / Flickr

It was the 1920s, and it looked like cars were a fad on the decline. Most Americans who were going to buy cars had already bought them; the auto industry just wasn't selling more.

So Alfred P. Sloan, the CEO of General Motors, and his colleagues came up with a radical new idea that would change not only the auto industry, but the entire economy: planned obsolescence. GM would simply convince customers that one car in a lifetime wasn't enough. They'd have to keep buying new models to stay fashionable.

What is Planned Obsolescence?​

Planned obsolescence is the convention of producing consumer goods that aren't built for longevity. Rather, goods are designed to become obsolete through the practice of frequent design updates, ceasing the manufacture of spare parts, or the use of materials not designed to last.
"You need to get people to want more things," explained Gary Cross, a history professor at Pennsylvania State University who studies consumerism. Industry executives had to make people "think about a car not just as a car, a transportation machine, but as an expression of your personality or your status or your desire for something new."

Critics called this business plan "planned obsolescence." Sloan, on the other hand, insisted on calling it "dynamic obsolescence," which I guess he imagined was a super sneaky cover story (?).

"Sloan realized that they had to make people want things that they essentially didn't need," said Jamie Kitman, a bureau chief at Automobile magazine. "And that, along with the practice of consumer credit, which allowed people to buy things that they didn't need, was one of the big steps forward that just turbo-charged the industry for the next 75 years."

The strategy worked, and those who didn't follow in Sloan's footsteps got burned. Henry Ford, for instance, hated the idea of planning for his cars to become obsolete.

"Henry Ford, a lot of his notions would today be viewed as insanity by people in the business of selling cars," said Kitman. "I mean he really had one model, he thought it was good enough. For many years it was truly only available in black, and he kept lowering the price." By the end of the 20s, GM was bigger than Ford.

But planned obsolescence didn't just stay in the auto industry. It spread. People buy new iPhones every year and new clothes every season. They purchase lighters and pens every time they run out of lighter fluid and ink. In a way, single-use products are planned obsolescence on steroids. Plastic containers and silverware are essentially cutlery and boxes made to be thrown away.

All this stuff is the essence of unsustainability, creating waste and making people work all day making products that have such short lives, they barely benefit anyone. They're also a waste of precious resources: people build factories that turn oil into plastic forks, which workers recycle into lovely things like piles of trash the size of Texas, all to avoid a world with more leisure time and metal forks. Sometimes, it's hard to tell whether the economy is serving us, or we're serving it.