My wifes 2016 Ford Explorer is rusting already...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrin De May

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was looking at her Explorer yesterday and noticed that the paint on the edge of the hood is bubbling in several places. No rock chips, just bubbling paint. We paid a lot of money for that thing!

I'm posting it on this forum mainly just to remind us that buying a newer vehicle isn't always the better option, they aren't problem free either. It is only 3 years old, FFS!

I used to work at the Ford dealership in Huntington Beach, CA back when Explorers were new. Don't remember bad paint issues on them back then, although I did see other vehicles get repainted under warranty due to acid rain that ate through the clearcoat. The scariest issue that I saw with the early Explorers was with the sunroofs. They were removable glass panels that you would remove, then slide into a vinyl slipcover, then stow in the cargo area and strap down. The scary part was when folks would go to reinstall the panel, the latches didn't always clamp down properly, and customers would come back complaining that the glass panel had flown off while they were driving down the freeway. Would hate to have been behind one of those! Before working at the Ford store, I'd worked at a Chevy dealership when the Lumina dustbuster-looking minivan was new. They had power rear side glass that pivoted out. Nice idea, too bad that the hinge at the front of the glass was basically glued on, so those would occasionally also blow loose on the freeway. The strangest paint issue that I saw while selling Chevys was with the yellow Corvettes that would start turning green. We had a coupe and a convertible on the showroom floor that began turning even before they were sold. Weird! Almost as strange was how the early Nineties yellow Mustangs attracted swarms of tiny black bugs that would cover the hoods & decklids to the point that we had to keep those cars in the showroom to keep the bugs off and stop them from freaking out potential buyers. Don't know if bugswarms are worse than bubbling paint, they're BOTH annoying!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My friends dad has a 2017 ram 2500 that has rust spots/bubbling paint on 3 of the 4 wheel wells already...the neighbors 2016(?) F-250 has a good amount of bubbling paint on the lower tailgate edge and under one of the large emblems on the front door. Tailgate has been replaced once already, and the oversized ecoboost emblem flew off on the highway with a piece of paint still stuck to it, nice big oxidized spot underneath. he was pissssssed(think his payments on that thing are $7-800ish a month) ...they sure don't build em like they used to
If that F250 is indeed a 2016 or newer then it's the aluminum POS.. not surprised as that's the common theme in this thread, bad prep on aluminum panels.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
In collision repair we are diligent about isolating the two metal to prevent direct contact. The OEM's are great at it in some areas , in others they don't seem to care.
The "don't seem to care" area sure seems to be the hood latch!! :D Ford and Mopar both guilty. Dunno about GM

Richard