My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm interested to know how much difference there is in the sealed beam headlights versus the composite ones. I recently scored a set of the OE ones at the yard and am debating swapping them into one of my trucks.( Be easier on the Burb since all the front stuff needs to be changed anyway....)

Remember these housings are aftermarket. Stock for stock or aftermarket for aftermarket shouldn't be a huge diff unless quality is lacking in one or the other.

Wow! I am so mad about how good that looks; I ordered a new high beam housing so hopefully it'll get here at a reasonable time.

Mine didn't take all that long to show up, soon you too can join the cool guy club. :cool:

I can dig it!

Thanks

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Replaced the blower motor today with a new AC Delco unit. Also cleaned out the AC core a bit. Here's how it was.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hit it with the vacuum, sprayed it with a cleaner/degreaser, ran a toothbrush over it, and hosed it out. Got it a little less bad.

Better than I remember it being in the sun. The truck definitely cooled better after this. Kinda makes me want to scatter the HVAC box and get everything really clean.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can anyone guess why I took the front apart this way?

Not because it's easier I assure you. Since I was in here, I just inherited more work. Yay me.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Niiiice. Cracks suck. Bottom of the core support?

On a thoroughly unrelated topic, how do you like the sealed beam headlights for light output, versus the composite ones? Sorry if I already asked you.... it's been that kind of day.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are you going to fix that crack? Cut a groove and weld it up? Can you fit an angle grinder in there?

A die grinder with one of those long burr bits cut the groove?

Is that bar completely fractured? If so, I wonder why it cracked in the first place or if it needs a big 'ol reinforcement of some sort?

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Niiiice. Cracks suck. Bottom of the core support?

On a thoroughly unrelated topic, how do you like the sealed beam headlights for light output, versus the composite ones? Sorry if I already asked you.... it's been that kind of day.

So remember the lights I tossed were a clear lens composite housing and a massive upgrade over yellowed out stockers. I've not driven much at night, but these don't really seem better than the old aftermarket housings, but again both were leaps and bounds better than old stock stuff. Either one will be an upgrade for sure.

How are you going to fix that crack? Cut a groove and weld it up? Can you fit an angle grinder in there?

A die grinder with one of those long burr bits cut the groove?

Is that bar completely fractured? If so, I wonder why it cracked in the first place or if it needs a big 'ol reinforcement of some sort?

I'm flattered, but you give me too much credit. Access to the back side is aboot unpossible, so I hot glued what I could reach. Couldn't get my helmet close enough to really see, but I think it came out OK.

Decided to zap it a little farther out after this.

Yes I hit the not broken side too. The factory welds looked a little thin. This approach is still holding after nearly 3 years where it had previously cracked up by the steering box. I make no claim to fame aside from the fact that my welds to date have not failed in anything I've welded. BTW this was done with a flux core unit.