My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Since I love being miserable, I went ahead and did the driver's side today. I knocked the tops of the rivets off with an air chisel but couldn't punch them through the arm or even get the damn joint out.

You must be registered for see images attach

After a bunch of propane torching this was as good as it got. I ended up drilling them partway to reduce their grip on the arm, but left something for the air hammer to best on where it couldn't mushroom.

After monkeying around with heat and brute force I can say this worked much better and didn't take very long. I saw on youtube where folks were drilling all the way through. No thanks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I don't remember if my uppers were greasable. I know my steering parts were not. Do you see any markings on the ball joints, like "AAM"?

I've never had any success with air chisels/hammers. It could be I've never had enough air to push it, or maybe it was the air hammer itself.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Early ones weren't greasable. Here's the top, 2217B.

The rest is utterly caked in grease. I kept the joint because it seemed to be in decent shape. The boot wasn't even torn. Can't say the same about the non-OE joint I removed.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just had an alignment done on the truck, used a shop recommended by my hangar neighbor. Apparently I went in with -.3/+.3 of caster. The left side maxed out at +2 and the right at +.4. They sent me along with 0/+.1 and -.4/-.5 camber for no charge. Since he couldn't get it in spec he didn't want to have his name on it. I guess a trip to the frame shop is in order to get his right. That and less crank, so legit lift?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Got my cruise working again. I hated not having it. I made a separate thread for it.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just had an alignment done on the truck, used a shop recommended by my hangar neighbor. Apparently I went in with -.3/+.3 of caster. The left side maxed out at +2 and the right at +.4. They sent me along with 0/+.1 and -.4/-.5 camber for no charge. Since he couldn't get it in spec he didn't want to have his name on it. I guess a trip to the frame shop is in order to get his right. That and less crank, so legit lift?

So you think it may be a frame issue?
My 96 has a pull to it that NOBODY in 5 trips to 4 different alignment shops have been able to eliminate. EVERYTHING has been replaced in the front end from c-arm bushings to the hub bearing assemblies. My father bought the truck new and it's never been a wreck, and I have this sinking feeling it may be a frame thing.........

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So you think it may be a frame issue?
My 96 has a pull to it that NOBODY in 5 trips to 4 different alignment shops have been able to eliminate. EVERYTHING has been replaced in the front end from c-arm bushings to the hub bearing assemblies. My father bought the truck new and it's never been a wreck, and I have this sinking feeling it may be a frame thing.........

My suspicion is ****** build quality/tolerances. I've had the truck since 2009 and not hit anything. It doesn't look like the PO had the RF corner reassembled either.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I've been home the last week and one of the first things I did was flash a tune into the thing that disabled VE, so MAF only, and guess what? The starts are 99% just like the dually. Seems to be a pattern here. . . I suck ass at VE. But now I know why.

Supposed to be a gif. . .

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Made it back from CA and this thing is back on DD status. Seems closed loop idle as is MAF only leaves a lot to be desired. Better news is it looks like the switch is what took a dump causing my 4wd to be intermittent. I unsnapped it from the bezel, but plugged it back in flopping around externally and I can get it to turn on and off repeatably just by wiggling it around. I just ordered a new GM switch. While not the end of the world here in CO, I am headed back to MI in a few weeks and the lake effect snow there will bury this thing in 2wd. Having 4wd means I don't have to exercise sound judgment. That and I can get my dumb@$$ that much more buried.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New 4wd switch came in, just in time for a week of 60 degree weather.

I repeated the wiggle test to prove the old one still flipped back and forth. New switch just stays lit up.

The buttons even have a snappier response to them. Now I can go to MI in confidence next month.