My K1500 DD Tow Pig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New 4wd switch came in, just in time for a week of 60 degree weather.

You must be registered for see images attach

I repeated the wiggle test to prove the old one still flipped back and forth. New switch just stays lit up.

The buttons even have a snappier response to them. Now I can go to MI in confidence next month.
New plastics are always so nice.
I got lucky at the salvage yard and nabbed a brand new switch out of a 99 Burb a while back; I thought it was going to be the cure for my 4x4 woes

It wasn't, I still need to get that damn PosiLok installed

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Makes me want to get a new HVAC panel too. Oh wait, I actually do need one of those. The used unit I put in a couple years ago gets wonky on less than full fan speed. I did yank my blower motor out. It squeals for a minute on cold mornings, super annoying. Luckily a couple drops of ATF on the easy to see bushing was all it needed. This guy wasn't all that bad either, but I still hosed it out since I was in there. The blower motor would have been extra annoying in MI, it gets a bit colder there than here.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Took a second look and that core doesn't look all that great. Hopefully the hose got it clean. I'd also cleaned the contacts on my radio where the face meets the head unit with an eraser. That seems to have alleviated it flipping on and off when cold. God was that annoying! So now I think I need to re-clearance the blower inlet to the hydrobooster again as the firewall seems to be a speaker again down around 1200-1500 RPMs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Last weekend was nice and warm so I decided to shampoo the seat and front carpet. It's only been 2 years but apparently I'm a filthy pig.

Part of it is that the seat is a little worn, so the black underneath shows better where the seat is used and makes it look dingy. I also cleaned and installed a less worn out arm rest.

The picture doesn't do it justice, the structure in the old one was gone.

I got to poking around EFIConnection this morning and for $360 can have the timing cover, reluctor, and cam sensor to go 24x. Just need junkyard coils and the wiring to go with it. I figured it was over a grand to go 24x, I'm liking this much better. I'd rather go 24x than buy a new distributor. Unless I can just use a GM 4.3 reluctor and keep the existing cam sensor. . . that'd be *******. Gonna have to research that now.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last weekend was nice and warm so I decided to shampoo the seat and front carpet. It's only been 2 years but apparently I'm a filthy pig.

Part of it is that the seat is a little worn, so the black underneath shows better where the seat is used and makes it look dingy. I also cleaned and installed a less worn out arm rest.

The picture doesn't do it justice, the structure in the old one was gone.

I got to poking around EFIConnection this morning and for $360 can have the timing cover, reluctor, and cam sensor to go 24x. Just need junkyard coils and the wiring to go with it. I figured it was over a grand to go 24x, I'm liking this much better. I'd rather go 24x than buy a new distributor. Unless I can just use a GM 4.3 reluctor and keep the existing cam sensor. . . that'd be *******. Gonna have to research that now.
That's cool! So this obviously eliminates the distributer altogether, right? Is this the kit you are looking at: https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/efi-24x-conversion-kit-w-1x-cam-sync-distributor ?

You already have the 0411 ECU, right? How did originally estimate $1,000 for the swap? It's just that kit and the COPs? I can't image those being that expensive at the local yards?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's cool! So this obviously eliminates the distributer altogether, right? Is this the kit you are looking at: https://www.eficonnection.com/home/product/efi-24x-conversion-kit-w-1x-cam-sync-distributor ?

You already have the 0411 ECU, right? How did originally estimate $1,000 for the swap? It's just that kit and the COPs? I can't image those being that expensive at the local yards?

That's the one, but all I really need from them is the gear itself. I went back and re-read, they give you a new stock timing cover and crank sensor, likely aftermarket junk. Same for my big block. The 1500 has had a high RPM misfire for a while that I've ignored as I've been unable to really nail it down without pointing the parts cannon at it. This kit would eliminate almost all of the existing ignition components as culprits and likely run smoother too (so I guess disguising the parts cannon as an upgrade). The Torqhead conversion for the LT1 is over $1,000 and the 58x conversion on EFIConnection is right around $1,000. I remember researching that eons ago because I wanted a 6L90 swap. I didn't realize I could reuse my stock distributor and timing cover, I could have sworn that I needed an aftermarket cover and different cam sensor setup for 24x. So I'd need 8 coils and the wiring from the pull and pay. I think I'll just grab a whole LS harness for $28 and split it open so I can run the coil wiring with no breaks or splilces. Tomorrow will be warm, maybe I can swing out to the junkyard then. I need a couple of plastic brackets for the wife's Envoy so I can get the courtesy lights back in operation again anyway.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the one, but all I really need from them is the gear itself. I went back and re-read, they give you a new stock timing cover and crank sensor, likely aftermarket junk. Same for my big block. The 1500 has had a high RPM misfire for a while that I've ignored as I've been unable to really nail it down without pointing the parts cannon at it. This kit would eliminate almost all of the existing ignition components as culprits and likely run smoother too (so I guess disguising the parts cannon as an upgrade). The Torqhead conversion for the LT1 is over $1,000 and the 58x conversion on EFIConnection is right around $1,000. I remember researching that eons ago because I wanted a 6L90 swap. I didn't realize I could reuse my stock distributor and timing cover, I could have sworn that I needed an aftermarket cover and different cam sensor setup for 24x. So I'd need 8 coils and the wiring from the pull and pay. I think I'll just grab a whole LS harness for $28 and split it open so I can run the coil wiring with no breaks or splilces. Tomorrow will be warm, maybe I can swing out to the junkyard then. I need a couple of plastic brackets for the wife's Envoy so I can get the courtesy lights back in operation again anyway.
Ok, gotcha. Yes, the injectors run to individual pin-outs at the (ECU-ground controlled) ECU should be better to get the harness, or at least the complete top part:

Source: https://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L-6.0L/fuel-injector-wiring-diagram-1

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting, there's a coil control and a coil ground for the PCM. I figured it just would have been 1 wire per coil.

There's an 88 at the pull and pay. If it still has the hardware, I'm grabbing the brackets for the quad lamp swap too. It was all there in the picture they took when it first arrived.