Muffler help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed a thrush welded on my 94' GMC and took it off 6 months later. lol It was deffinetly louder then stock, had a nice rumble at cruise and was throaty under hard acceleration. But the drone in the interior was pretty annoying. I mean it wasn't horrible, but my set up now is 1000X better. Granted i have a 350 not a 4.3, I would still say go with a glasspack. There one of the oldest "perfromance" mufflers out there. I currently have a 18" Glasspack with a 3" exhaust system and my exhaust tone is perfect to me. It will scream under acceleration and has a nice rumble at cruising RPM's. And best of all ZERO interior drone!!!!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
3" on a 4.3, will throw codes for 'low exhaust pressure' & 'faulty cat'. (even with a NEW cat). You'll noticeably lose power.
Stick to 2.5" for the V6.
This lesson cost me $1700.00 & 3 different exhaust systems.

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i had 3" on my V6 its a 96 so i dont know if there is a difference in the 96 to 98.. stock Y pipe gutted cat from the cat to the flowmaster was 3" and from the muffler turned out the passager side in front of wheel was 3".. it make a world of a difference on mine and at idle it sounded like a V8.. deep deep tone! and mine didnt pop any codes.. the PCM was not tuned..

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I installed a thrush welded on my 94' GMC and took it off 6 months later. lol It was deffinetly louder then stock, had a nice rumble at cruise and was throaty under hard acceleration. But the drone in the interior was pretty annoying. I mean it wasn't horrible, but my set up now is 1000X better. Granted i have a 350 not a 4.3, I would still say go with a glasspack. There one of the oldest "perfromance" mufflers out there. I currently have a 18" Glasspack with a 3" exhaust system and my exhaust tone is perfect to me. It will scream under acceleration and has a nice rumble at cruising RPM's. And best of all ZERO interior drone!!!!!
What do you mean by 3" system? lol of course the V8 sounds waay better. I've heard mixed reviews on the glasspack, I'm not sure what I think of them.
3" on a 4.3, will throw codes for 'low exhaust pressure' & 'faulty cat'. (even with a NEW cat). You'll noticeably lose power.
Stick to 2.5" for the V6.
This lesson cost me $1700.00 & 3 different exhaust systems.
Man that sounds horrible. 2.5" is stock right?
i had 3" on my V6 its a 96 so i dont know if there is a difference in the 96 to 98.. stock Y pipe gutted cat from the cat to the flowmaster was 3" and from the muffler turned out the passager side in front of wheel was 3".. it make a world of a difference on mine and at idle it sounded like a V8.. deep deep tone! and mine didnt pop any codes.. the PCM was not tuned..
I live in California so cats are a MUST have. How much of a difference do they make soundwise?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What do you mean by 3" system? lol of course the V8 sounds waay better. I've heard mixed reviews on the glasspack, I'm not sure what I think of them.

I have 3" exhaust cat back. I know that there is people that diss the glasspacks, but there usually the folks that think if it's not borla or corsa, it's junk. Anyways, you can get glasspacks in case lengths from 8" all the way up to 24". The case length and the pipe ID are the two determining factors that determine your exhaust note. The shorter the muffler, the louder it is. I can post a sound clip of my truck if you would like so you can get an idea of what a glasspack sounds like.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
a good high flow shouldnt change the sound to much..
Jesus they're expensive though! I just looked them up lol
Thrush is an old company, used to see them on alot of mopar and fomoco cars back in the 60's. There are generic sound clips here for their different types of mufflers: http://www.thrushexhaust.com/products.html
Thanks, i'll give it a listen!
I have 3" exhaust cat back. I know that there is people that diss the glasspacks, but there usually the folks that think if it's not borla or corsa, it's junk. Anyways, you can get glasspacks in case lengths from 8" all the way up to 24". The case length and the pipe ID are the two determining factors that determine your exhaust note. The shorter the muffler, the louder it is. I can post a sound clip of my truck if you would like so you can get an idea of what a glasspack sounds like.
Sure if you don't mind! I think I heard it when I first joined the forum.. You driving in the snow?

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep but, but if your going to play... your going to pay lol love that sayin haha!!

stock cats will change the sound... just gut your cats weld them back on and have it tuned so the CEL its on..

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
lol! I'm more trying to keep this truck going than modding it hahah. Besides the people here drive slow enough, it doesn't take much to go around lol.