Choosing a muffler, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next week I’ll be ordering a muffler to get it installed on my 96 Chevy with the 5.0 Vortec. I live in California so I have the stock cat. I want the truck to sound deep, nothing raspy but a deep growl that’s why I was thinking of going magnaflow. Maybe you guys have a suggestion on the muffler I want if you guys can let me know?

any4xx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh…. My ‘95 has a high-flow cat and a very small Flowmaster chambered muffler. It sounds as quiet as stock. I checked the exhaust pressure and there is just a hair over zero at all RPMs. I’ve come to the conclusion that cats silence these engines more than mufflers do. I think if you’re keeping your cat(s) you’re going to be quiet.

Harry Dawg

Reaction score
I have always liked the Thrush line of mufflers, and have had all of their glass packs and stainless mufflers. The Thrush welded series gave my truck a nice deep rumble, but nothing obnoxious. This was without cats on my 5.3.

I also had a Thrush glass pack on my 5.9 Grand Cherokee. It had cats and still had a nice exhaust tone.

Since you are going to have cats, I would go with the more aggressive muffler regardless of brand. Cherry Bomb X-Treme, Flowmaster Outlaw Series ETC.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive been using the large Dynomax mufflers and really like them. No drone but still have a decent sound.
17235 is what i run on my 2500hd
17233 with a 12" resonator on a 5.3 S10 swap and its just about perfect for sound.

KamenRider_1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always liked the Thrush line of mufflers, and have had all of their glass packs and stainless mufflers. The Thrush welded series gave my truck a nice deep rumble, but nothing obnoxious. This was without cats on my 5.3.

I also had a Thrush glass pack on my 5.9 Grand Cherokee. It had cats and still had a nice exhaust tone.

Since you are going to have cats, I would go with the more aggressive muffler regardless of brand. Cherry Bomb X-Treme, Flowmaster Outlaw Series ETC.
Now that I think of it, if the cats do keep the sound extremely quiet then I should take a look at the cherry bombs and maybe the flowmaster.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put a bigger tip on it. I used the cherry bomb welded mufflers (seemed like a copy of flowmasters) wit cats, on a bone stock tired 350, it was true duals with 5” tips. It was super throaty but could barely hear it at idle. I’m tired of the flowmaster sound, Borla ProXS too quiet, XR-1 lol too loud, but seems Gibson n some magnaflows have a nice sound to em…