More horsepower and torque?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beast94

Reaction score
Yes those are good beginner mods. The only thing I dont agree with, without tuning is the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If the computer is not expecting the fuel it will just be wasted.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A slight bump from factory spec is not going to hurt anything, it may not be perfect but it will help. you are right they are mods to build on, but I am saying he can get all the stuff to may 400 HP, but if no one can get a PROM made for it he is just pissing money.

beast94

Reaction score
A slight bump from factory spec is not going to hurt anything, it may not be perfect but it will help. you are right they are mods to build on, but I am saying he can get all the stuff to may 400 HP, but if no one can get a PROM made for it he is just pissing money.

If someone can afford new heads, and cam. They can afford a good PROM. Another way is to go with out the PROM is to put an aftermarket computer in like I have stated before as the EBL Flash. The tuning is not hard at all either.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Not really much good info so far here.
For one start with a tune up, then go with a TB spacer, ultimate tbi mods, take the heat flap out of the air cleaner housing, tube out of the fender and silencer box, longtubes, high flow cat, muffler, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and guage setup then a chip if you want more.

TBI spacer is a good place to drill and install nitrous nozzles, not good for much else. Change the entire air cleaner. The stock one is junk and limits what filters you can use. Long tubes decrease low end power. AFPR isn't useful without tuning. Increasing the fuel pressure only means the computer will decrease the injector PWM and deliver the same amount of fuel. O2 sensors see to that. Pre-MPFI systems benefit from higher fuel pressure. A chip is for OBD1 vehicles. OBDII ECMs are tuned via adjusting the parameters in the unit. OBD1 ECMs are tuned via replacing the chips in the board.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If someone can afford new heads, and cam. They can afford a good PROM. Another way is to go with out the PROM is to put an aftermarket computer in like I have stated before as the EBL Flash. The tuning is not hard at all either.

If they can find someone who can do it right, all the money in the world is fine, but gotta find the knowledge, also it takes lots of time to do and some don't have a bunch of time to mess with it.

TBI spacer is a good place to drill and install nitrous nozzles, not good for much else. Change the entire air cleaner. The stock one is junk and limits what filters you can use. Long tubes decrease low end power. AFPR isn't useful without tuning. Increasing the fuel pressure only means the computer will decrease the injector PWM and deliver the same amount of fuel. O2 sensors see to that. Pre-MPFI systems benefit from higher fuel pressure. A chip is for OBD1 vehicles. OBDII ECMs are tuned via adjusting the parameters in the unit. OBD1 ECMs are tuned via replacing the chips in the board.

Would you just leave this forum or not post, you are so wrong it isn't even funny. I have all the things I listed and you said are bad and they all helped me in different ways immensely. No duh a chip is for OBD1, I have one. You became even more of a troll since I have been on last and seem to know even less.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
So tell me then, when you increase your fuel pressure what happens? More power? Because? When the O2 sensor sees unburned fuel it tells the computer which in turn reduces the PW on the injector. So yeah, raising fuel pressure on a stock OBDII vehicle is useless. Everyone knows long tubes decrease low end, raises top top end power. Trolls are the ones spewing garbage advice and costing others money/power by following it.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
actually most OBDII vehicles can make changes to slight added pressure, with other things like throttlebody spacers cold air intakes and exhaust this can help, but if your going to do heads and all that stuff you will need a retune... i didnt read this whole thread just the last page, i might sounds stupid, but i really dont care (in before the big fight)

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Tempted before you get your panties in a bunch over OBDII, you failed to notice it is a OBDI vehicle

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
OBDII vehicles absolutely make changes when fuel pressure is changed. It adjusts the PWM to counter low/high pressure. More pressure, less time open. The amount of fuel stays the same. Now a proper cool air intake will increase the PWM due to cooler air being more dense. This is where the extra power comes in. Running rich is not good at all. Rich = less power. Once you hit stoich you are at max efficiency. Running 12/1 air/fuel will make less power than running 14.5/1. Lean = more power. If you change the cam then yes a tune will be required. But just adding inches doesn't mean tuning is necessary.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Hey Tempted before you get your panties in a bunch over OBDII, you failed to notice it is a OBDI vehicle

Which is why I said :

"Pre-MPFI systems benefit from higher fuel pressure. A chip is for OBD1 vehicles. OBDII ECMs are tuned via adjusting the parameters in the unit. OBD1 ECMs are tuned via replacing the chips in the board."