More horsepower and torque?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody80z28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To make good horsepower and still maintain strong low end torque a roller cam is the way to go. I picked up a cheap LT1 cam that specs out with similar lift to those linked (.447/.459 I/E) with less duration (204/207) because of the roller tappet profiles. Less duration keeps your low end torque, and makes it easier to tune with the stock EFI system because the MAP and O2 signals are better. EBL is nice, but the stock ECM is sufficient to make your own changes.

If your engine block in your truck is the original '95 one, it's almost guaranteed to be roller-ready. Both my 94s were good to go. As long as it has the three spider pedestals, tall lifter bores and cam plate holes you can convert to roller cheap & easy. All you'll need is a roller cam, roller lifters, roller timing chain and the dogbones & spider. I just built mine this year, I can give you PN's if you'd like.

Last edited:

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really much good info so far here.
For one start with a tune up, then go with a TB spacer, ultimate tbi mods, take the heat flap out of the air cleaner housing, tube out of the fender and silencer box, longtubes, high flow cat, muffler, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and guage setup then a chip if you want more.

bowtie-till-i-die

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
give patriot performance a call. heads and a cam for my 06 was 1800 and they said it would get almost 100 more horses

1LEG

Reaction score
If your engine block in your truck is the original '95 one, it's almost guaranteed to be roller-ready. Both my 94s were good to go. As long as it has the three spider pedestals, tall lifter bores and cam plate holes you can convert to roller cheap & easy. All you'll need is a roller cam, roller lifters, roller timing chain and the dogbones & spider. I just built mine this year, I can give you PN's if you'd like.

Please give us the roller part #. thinking about doing a lt1 cam swap soon.

Last edited:

1LEG

Reaction score
your never going to see any real HP gains with the TBI heads. I built a new TBI 350 engine for my 89 suburban with edlebrock cam and intake, biggest mistake was not upgrading the heads, sure i make more power but i'm not sure if it's the edelbrock stuff or the fresh engine. still have a hard time getting out of my own way but it ways over 6000lbs. Now my 1993 RCSB 4wd feels like it hauls ass and it's all stock for now.

beast94

Reaction score
Not really much good info so far here.

For one start with a tune up, then go with a TB spacer, ultimate tbi mods, take the heat flap out of the air cleaner housing, tube out of the fender and silencer box, longtubes, high flow cat, muffler, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and guage setup then a chip if you want more.

Please explain why you say its not good info...

And what you suggested is all good upgrades, but if he is looking for a substantial power gain then he will have to do more. And chips are hit or miss. It all depends on how the company wrote the fuel and spark maps. The only sure way to have a PROM work is to have it custom tuned from a place like tbichips.com were he provides every upgrade he has done to the engine/trans. And any major change would require retuning of the PROM.

beast94

Reaction score
To make good horsepower and still maintain strong low end torque a roller cam is the way to go. I picked up a cheap LT1 cam that specs out with similar lift to those linked (.447/.459 I/E) with less duration (204/207) because of the roller tappet profiles. Less duration keeps your low end torque, and makes it easier to tune with the stock EFI system because the MAP and O2 signals are better. EBL is nice, but the stock ECM is sufficient to make your own changes.

Please explain how he would tune his stock ECM with out expensive PROM writers, and a program to alter the fuel and spark tables.

Yes the stock '88 to '95 blocks are roller compatible, he will also have to add a cam thrust bearing in the timing cover or a cam plate. This is because with a roller can you loose the built in rearward thrust that the cam lobe profile gives you to ensure the cam is always in contact with the distributor gear.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please explain why you say its not good info...

And what you suggested is all good upgrades, but if he is looking for a substantial power gain then he will have to do more. And chips are hit or miss. It all depends on how the company wrote the fuel and spark maps. The only sure way to have a PROM work is to have it custom tuned from a place like tbichips.com were he provides every upgrade he has done to the engine/trans. And any major change would require retuning of the PROM.

I said some of it is not very good from the first page. A substantial gain can only be made if he can get a PROM to make it run and not many people can do that. I can say first hand Brian at TBIChips is not the best and could not get my old truck tuned right when I did cam, heads, headers, even wit hsending him datalogging. What I listed is all cheap and beginner stuff that he can do without needing to change the PROM, he can fine tune the fuel PSI too.
THen he can go for heads, cam, etc if he can find someone to dial it in.