Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
After you do a few dozen LS swaps they are all the same in the end.
In 2005 i had a 2000 (GMT800) Silverado i had put a LQ4 in with a 4L80 and a BW S475 Turbo.
Towed every weekend, added helper bags on the rear and towed well over what the truck was rated for.
Put over 330,000 miles on that setup problem free.

If you cant do the work yourself then 10k wont get you far really.
Towing heavy you cant beat a diesel until the repair bills show up.
but im different, id rather have a turbo LS. I know more about them than anything else and id rather use a little more gas than have to work on a diesel that gets better mileage towing.

My brother had some 99 and 2000 trucks with stock 7.4L and after tuning them for 89 octane they still didnt compare to a LQ4 with 8-10psi boost. But i did all my own work and tuning so it really didnt cost me much and i had play money back then.

I really wish i could find my old dyno sheets.
It was 360ish rwtq at 2500 rpms and 460 or 480 rwtq at 3000rpms.
the dyno operator wouldnt let me start a pull at 1500rpms cause i wanted to see what it made down really low.
That same 6.0 has about 520,000 miles on it now and it smokes some but still cranks and runs good. So they hold up to a fair amount to heavy use.

I only have experience with 4 or 5 454 trucks so small sample size but ive built several turbo LS trucks for Daily/towing and others for racing. They are quite impressive but not cheap these days.
So, I always wanted a diesel truck and because you can turbo them out and get some pick up. But this is my baby, I dont think Ill be hauling anything super big but I'm not sure of the future.

Now I kind of lost you, when you got to the dyno sheets. I'm very eager to learn, and I wish I had someone I could shadow. But it is what it is. Now, it sounds like I can just get the same engine, and then just tune it up. However, what would that entail? Is there somewhere where I can get like a guide or something?

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
@RDF1 @618 Syndicate

So is a tune up that I could do? Also, I feel like Id have to chance out the fuel injector (module/computer?); or other parts the guy doesn't necessarily mention? Gosh I have being mechanically inclined sometimes, my apologies.

And thanks for your guys information so far

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read these forums, other forums, youtube, ask questions, and read more. At some point, people here didn't know anything either. But for now, I would just get another motor to put in and enjoy it. Maybe couple years down the road, when you learned more, have some experience wrenching, then maybe swap to an LS with a hair dryer. I had a 97 with the 454, and was really impressed with what it pulled. That's why I have 2 now, and maybe swap the extra one I have into my Yukon.....

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@RDF1 @618 Syndicate

So is a tune up that I could do? Also, I feel like Id have to chance out the fuel injector (module/computer?); or other parts the guy doesn't necessarily mention? Gosh I have being mechanically inclined sometimes, my apologies.

And thanks for your guys information so far
If you've got funds, look for a motor that already has heads and a cam. Headers are available from jegs, summit etc.
A tune means a computer adjustment for the modifications you've made, there are sections here about what/how etc.

You need to start researching this board, use the search function, and out a plan together. We'll help, but we can't do it for you...

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you in Colorado?

there are several recent and active L29 454 build threads in here

check these out, your answers are in them. Hit us up on your plans as you narrow them down

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 02¢.
Yank the current one out, and toss an equivalent one back in. Not all that difficult if you follow the instructions laid out in a service manual that you can find on this site, or better yet a book for your truck available at most auto parts stores.
Once it's up and running, take the old one that's sitting in the corner, put it up on a stand and rip that sucker apart. By then, you should have more confidence and knowledge (due to research) and rebuild it the for the goals you are trying to reach. Maybe get it bored and stroked, new rotating assembly, cam, heads etc.
This forum is great at spending others $$$$, but the knowledge on here is priceless as well. Lots of guys/gals have done what you want to do.
If you are uncomfortable doing the work on your own, reach out to someone in your area via the interwebs, church, classifieds, Goodyear blimp or however you can, and see if someone is willing to mentor you through it.

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Read these forums, other forums, youtube, ask questions, and read more. At some point, people here didn't know anything either. But for now, I would just get another motor to put in and enjoy it. Maybe couple years down the road, when you learned more, have some experience wrenching, then maybe swap to an LS with a hair dryer. I had a 97 with the 454, and was really impressed with what it pulled. That's why I have 2 now, and maybe swap the extra one I have into my Yukon.....
Gotcha' good advice... Time to start scrolling I guess