Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crussell45

Reaction score
I just bought my first 454. Gonna be my daily but don’t worry my commute to work is less than 2 miles so I shouldn’t go broke buying fuel… shouldn’t.

I am curious what are some performance upgrades I need to focus on? I’m not trying to make it a monster and I don’t want it to wake the whole neighborhood. I just want it to be a good running vehicle.

1998 Chevy Silverado K2500 Extended Cab

Picture linked below
Thanks!

Last edited:

missouritig

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion, just fix vacuum leaks, coolant leaks, and make sure all the sensors work. Run a fuel pressure test.

Get to know what you have before dumping money into stuff like camshafts and liftkits.

Its exciting to get a cool platform like that, 454 with a 4l80 behind it. Just keep it basic until youve driven it a while.

Case and point, i keep eyeballing marketplace for interior parts, door skins, fenders. But I keep stopping myself because I remember my fuel tank is secured with ratchet straps.

Baby steps!

Crussell45

Reaction score
My opinion, just fix vacuum leaks, coolant leaks, and make sure all the sensors work. Run a fuel pressure test.

Get to know what you have before dumping money into stuff like camshafts and liftkits.

Its exciting to get a cool platform like that, 454 with a 4l80 behind it. Just keep it basic until youve driven it a while.

Case and point, i keep eyeballing marketplace for interior parts, door skins, fenders. But I keep stopping myself because I remember my fuel tank is secured with ratchet straps.

Baby steps!
Definitely don’t want a lift kit… really not my style. I do need a new dash…

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
None, it's a truck not a performance vehicle. Focus on a tuneup and inevitably deferred maintenance. Put a different muffler / exhaust on it if you want the cool factor.

Crussell45

Reaction score
None, it's a truck not a performance vehicle. Focus on a tuneup and inevitably deferred maintenance. Put a different muffler / exhaust on it if you want the cool factor.
Don’t need any cool factor. Just want it to be its best self.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Said the guy who just did an engine swap with a standalone.

OP exhaust and tune are going to be the 2 biggest bang for the buck mods. If your truck has a stock muffler that's a choke point especially on a 454. The tune is also laughable, 60 second delay on PE fueling and something on the order of 18 degrees total advance with PE on, so really it's less than 15 degrees in stock form. I have a Walker bus muffler on my dually. It's pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a stock muffler, but not as loud as even the mildest performance oriented muffler. It has stock sized 2.75" inlets and a single 4" outlet. It did add a little bit of oomph to the truck and I'm glad I went with it.

Crussell45

Reaction score
Said the guy who just did an engine swap with a standalone.

OP exhaust and tune are going to be the 2 biggest bang for the buck mods. If your truck has a stock muffler that's a choke point especially on a 454. The tune is also laughable, 60 second delay on PE fueling and something on the order of 18 degrees total advance with PE on, so really it's less than 15 degrees in stock form. I have a Walker bus muffler on my dually. It's pretty quiet. Not as quiet as a stock muffler, but not as loud as even the mildest performance oriented muffler. It has stock sized 2.75" inlets and a single 4" outlet. It did add a little bit of oomph to the truck and I'm glad I went with it.
… mind dumbing that down?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
… mind dumbing that down?

The dumbed down version is as I stated, exhaust and tune. You don't need to know anything about a tune to get one. Yours being a 98 Blackbear Performance can square you away with the tune.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None, it's a truck not a performance vehicle.
This. It's a K2500. It has the heaviest parts on the heaviest frame. Tune it up and tow the world. Rehab that interior until it's nicer than your home. That's the direction I'm going with my one-ton.