Smeding Performance 383 in a 97 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have factory Vortec heads? With a 1.55 exhaust valve they'd flow the same as the Edelbrocks, and you could always go with the latest GM cam used in the 350/357hp crate.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have factory Vortec heads? With a 1.55 exhaust valve they'd flow the same as the Edelbrocks, and you could always go with the latest GM cam used in the 350/357hp crate.
Vortecs are not even in the same ball park as the Etec170s and the Mexican heads are even worse.

That GM cam is nearly $600 now.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, the Edelbrock E-Tec 170s are on order SMH
You will not regret that choice. Coming from someone that ran them. You can run them with either self-aligning or standard rocker arms. If you run standard rocker arms, use the guideplates and hardened pushrods along with short stamped steel perimeter bolt valve covers. If you run self aligning use the washers they provide under the rocker studs. The Etec heads will allow you to run the stock valve covers if you use narrow body self aligning rocker arms. Something the AFR Enforcers and other Dart clones do not allow due to a missed step in the machining operation. The stock stamped steel center bolt covers hit the Enforcers and others at the bolt boses for the perimiter bolt covers that were not machined as a step like the Fast Burn, Etec and AFR 190s are. This missed machining step was overlooked even by AFR on their budget Enforcers.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only intake gasket I will put on a vortec is a fiber paper gasket as well. Edelbrock 7235 is a great gasket. Get their Gasgasinch and paint it on both sides of the gasket and the manifold face of the cylinder head. Get you a set of 2" long 5/16"-18 carb studs. Screw them into the end manifold bolt holes on the heads. Lay down your silicone RTV beads ( I like the black 90 minute tough stuff) on the china rails. Then lay your gaskets down on the heads lining up the ports and give it a firm press to glue it in place. Then slide the manifold straight down on the carb studs. Start your 4 center manifold bolts and lightly snug them down. Remove the studs, then install the 4 outer bolts with a light snug. Let the silicone dry, then torque the manifold bolts in the correct pattern to the Edelbrock specified torque. IIRC it is 13 or 15 ft/lbs.

Edit, I forgot to mention the only place I use RTV on an intake gasket is at the very bottom corners where it meets the china wall and cylinder head. I put the service manual specified length and width above and below the intake gasket in the corners. I see guys smear that stuff all over and around the water ports and wonder why they have leaks later.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What did you end up doing for a cam?

I would call or email Lloyd Elliot and discuss the cam with him. I have a custom Erson grind to put into my 383 that Lloyd and I came up with. The cam Comp pushed for for my setup missed the mark pretty badly for what I wanted. I know the cam Lloyd and I came up with will be a lot better all around. We decided on a 219/219 @ 0.050, 112 LSA and (0.544 lift with a 1.6 rocker or 0.578 with a 1.7 not sure which I will run just yet and possibly even testing a 1.7I/1.6E split) for my setup using Lunati lifters. The Erson cam was far cheaper than a Comp. The cam was ground straight up on a 112 ICL, but I am installing it 4* advance using the 3 way adjustable timing sprocket on Cloyes timing set for even more low-end power. The Comp cam was a 218/228 on a 108 LSA, 0.536 lift with 1.6 rockers and installed on the 106 ICL it was ground on. I know the Erson will be smoother at low rpm, have more grunt at low engine rpm and get better fuel mileage especially around town idling around at lower rpm.

[email protected]

(469) 820-9363

My Erson cam is a virtual clone of the LPE219 cam as well. Just enough cam in a 383 to know it is not stock but still have stock like manners.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

By comparison the Comp cam has a lumpy idle and a low rpm choppiness that does not go away until 1,500 rpm under load. Miserable cam to live with in day to day around town driving.

Last edited:

supspt454

Reaction score
What did you end up doing for a cam?

I would call or email Lloyd Elliot and discuss the cam with him. I have a custom Erson grind to put into my 383 that Lloyd and I came up with. The cam Comp pushed for for my setup missed the mark pretty badly for what I wanted. I know the cam Lloyd and I came up with will be a lot better all around. We decided on a 219/219 @ 0.050, 112 LSA and (0.544 lift with a 1.6 rocker or 0.578 with a 1.7 not sure which I will run just yet and possibly even testing a 1.7I/1.6E split) for my setup using Lunati lifters. The Erson cam was far cheaper than a Comp. The cam was ground straight up on a 112 ICL, but I am installing it 4* advance using the 3 way adjustable timing sprocket on Cloyes timing set for even more low-end power. The Comp cam was a 218/228 on a 108 LSA, 0.536 lift with 1.6 rockers and installed on the 106 ICL it was ground on. I know the Erson will be smoother at low rpm, have more grunt at low engine rpm and get better fuel mileage especially around town idling around at lower rpm.

[email protected]

(469) 820-9363

My Erson cam is a virtual clone of the LPE219 cam as well. Just enough cam in a 383 to know it is not stock but still have stock like manners.

By comparison the Comp cam has a lumpy idle and a low rpm choppiness that does not go away until 1,500 rpm under load. Miserable cam to live with in day to day around town driving.

What type of exhaust are you running?