Smeding Performance 383 in a 97 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What type of exhaust are you running?
Thorley tri-ys, their connecting pipes that came with the headers into the stock 3" dual pipes to the muffler, swapped out the GM corks they called catalytic converters for Thunderbolt race core spun cats, then it has a dual 3" inlet Walker Dynomax replacement muffler for an 8.1L GMT800 truck and matching tail pipe.

Last edited:

supspt454

Reaction score
Thorley tri-ys, their connecting pipes that came with the headers into the stock 3" dual pipes to the muffler, swapped out the GM corks they called catalytic converters for Thunderbolt race core spun cats, then it has a dual 3" inlet Walker Dynomax replacement muffler for an 8.1L GMT800 truck and matching tail pipe.
Truck currently has factory exhaust as this was a 305 truck, with the exception of a single in dual out Jones Full Bore muffler. I am very happy with the muffler, sounds great. But I know I will have to replace everything ahead of that.

supspt454

Reaction score
What did you end up doing for a cam?

I would call or email Lloyd Elliot and discuss the cam with him. I have a custom Erson grind to put into my 383 that Lloyd and I came up with. The cam Comp pushed for for my setup missed the mark pretty badly for what I wanted. I know the cam Lloyd and I came up with will be a lot better all around. We decided on a 219/219 @ 0.050, 112 LSA and (0.544 lift with a 1.6 rocker or 0.578 with a 1.7 not sure which I will run just yet and possibly even testing a 1.7I/1.6E split) for my setup using Lunati lifters. The Erson cam was far cheaper than a Comp. The cam was ground straight up on a 112 ICL, but I am installing it 4* advance using the 3 way adjustable timing sprocket on Cloyes timing set for even more low-end power. The Comp cam was a 218/228 on a 108 LSA, 0.536 lift with 1.6 rockers and installed on the 106 ICL it was ground on. I know the Erson will be smoother at low rpm, have more grunt at low engine rpm and get better fuel mileage especially around town idling around at lower rpm.

[email protected]

(469) 820-9363

My Erson cam is a virtual clone of the LPE219 cam as well. Just enough cam in a 383 to know it is not stock but still have stock like manners.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

By comparison the Comp cam has a lumpy idle and a low rpm choppiness that does not go away until 1,500 rpm under load. Miserable cam to live with in day to day around town driving.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Ended up ordering a SUM-8801 cam. Hope it will do the trick for what I want in this 383.

supspt454

Reaction score
Truck is finally back on the road. Black box does not like it so much. It runs and drives okay, but the 0411 will be getting installed soon. And I just ordered MPVI3. Will defiantly be asking for help with that.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this the same " Smeding " that was in Rancho Cordova, outside of Sacramento, CA. ?

Danimal08

Reaction score
Hows your experience with the smeding short block so far?
I ask because I'm considering their short block and there isn't a lot of folks out there that have left many reviews. The last couple years have been unkind to engine prices.... Getting dang near unaffordable. Local shop quoted $7500 to completely rebuild my L31. I can get a new L31 long block from summit for $4400. Theres a guy near me on marketplace that bought one but didn't use still in crate... I'm tempted to offer $3500 to see where it goes.