Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
My 02¢.
Yank the current one out, and toss an equivalent one back in. Not all that difficult if you follow the instructions laid out in a service manual that you can find on this site, or better yet a book for your truck available at most auto parts stores.
Once it's up and running, take the old one that's sitting in the corner, put it up on a stand and rip that sucker apart. By then, you should have more confidence and knowledge (due to research) and rebuild it the for the goals you are trying to reach. Maybe get it bored and stroked, new rotating assembly, cam, heads etc.
This forum is great at spending others $$$$, but the knowledge on here is priceless as well. Lots of guys/gals have done what you want to do.
If you are uncomfortable doing the work on your own, reach out to someone in your area via the interwebs, church, classifieds, Goodyear blimp or however you can, and see if someone is willing to mentor you through it.
Awsome!!! I did not even think of that... Amazing, seriously. Thank you very much

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Are you in Colorado?

there are several recent and active L29 454 build threads in here

check these out, your answers are in them. Hit us up on your plans as you narrow them down
I work in the Denver/Aurora area; but live in rural Nebraska. Its hard to find... expirience/tune up/ hot rod places in my area. So Im kind of limited to Colorado.... Ill check these out, thank you

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Rockstar

I'd put another 454 in her, of the same engine family, either a known good used engine or a long block.
One thing you may consider...Do you, or anyone you know, know of a wrench spinner that makes house calls? If you can get someone proficient at this stuff, you can save a bit with your sweat equity and get an education simultaneously.

Do you have the tools?
Do you have the space?
Do you have the time?

OxDEADBEEF offered sage advice. It depends on what your goal is for this particular truck. Does it have sentimental value? Consider what size and weight camper you may get. Perhaps you won't need a 3500 and 454 for your towing needs.

Please keep us posted on what you decide.
Right, I think im going to get the same engine and like @Drunkcanuk said; work on the old one and do what I want to do on my spare time. I will probably look for someone or get help from my brother in law; he fixes cars but, is very hard to deal with. But very good idea for sure.

I have some tools, not super extensive but always willing to buy more over time
I have space, or Ill make space
And time is the one I don't have. I work 60+ hours a week. But eventually I can get to it

@0xDEADBEEF did say that. And no bro, I do not take offence. I know what my skillset, I'm just really eager to learn.
And I'm not sure what Ill need, it was just a good deal I couldn't pass on. I just love the GMT 400 series trucks. They are my favorite, so its like my daily driver/project truck. Unless I just end up buying another to do a speed performance style truck.
The camper is a few years away, so Im yet not sure. And i will keep you guys posted

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
@Erik the Awful @Supercharged111 @Drunkcanuk @Hipster @yevgenievich @RDF1 @618 Syndicate @b454rat @Piratehunter @shovelbill

Thank you all for the support and assistance. Im still learning and building my experience; as I've said before I didnt have anyone to show me. But thanks to this forum (I tried Reddit), I now have lots of information. I really do appreciate it! And Im glad theres so many of you willing to give your expirience and knowledge. I will keep you posted and add some pictures when I have an opportunity. Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!!

p.s. If I didn't tag you, sorry; I'm still getting used to the layout of this site.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
@Erik the Awful @Supercharged111 @Drunkcanuk @Hipster @yevgenievich @RDF1 @618 Syndicate @b454rat @Piratehunter @shovelbill

Thank you all for the support and assistance. Im still learning and building my experience; as I've said before I didnt have anyone to show me. But thanks to this forum (I tried Reddit), I now have lots of information. I really do appreciate it! And Im glad theres so many of you willing to give your expirience and knowledge. I will keep you posted and add some pictures when I have an opportunity. Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!!

p.s. If I didn't tag you, sorry; I'm still getting used to the layout of this site.
Welcome to the community...

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Hey guys, got an update: So, Im buying the same engine, and having it be put in. I will keep the old and try to rebuild it. SO.... now I need some advice on getting the engine and what other parts I might need for the install.
Now I want to get the engine online somewhere and have it shipped to the shop. I do not want to have the shop order it since they're quoting me around 10k for engine + install. So, I figure I can save money by buying it myself. However, I'm not sure what other parts are going to be essential in buying for the install. I know they can transfer most if not all the extra parts from the old engine. BUT, I'm guessing there's some I should replace. Either its valves or hoses, etc. Could you guys advise me on this? Thanks again for all your help!!!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to do a straight swap, one of the 50-state legal engines is probably it, but call Summit or Blueprint before ordering to verify.

A new water pump is a good consideration, but the old intake, exhaust, and distributor will be reused. If any of the accessories are dorked or leaking, now's the time to rebuild or replace them because the entire accessory drive will need to be swapped over. If the radiator is crusty, replace it as well.

I'd replace:
Water pump
Intake gaskets
Exhaust gaskets
Spark plugs
Thermostat
Radiator hoses

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, got an update: So, Im buying the same engine, and having it be put in. I will keep the old and try to rebuild it. SO.... now I need some advice on getting the engine and what other parts I might need for the install.
Now I want to get the engine online somewhere and have it shipped to the shop. I do not want to have the shop order it since they're quoting me around 10k for engine + install. So, I figure I can save money by buying it myself. However, I'm not sure what other parts are going to be essential in buying for the install. I know they can transfer most if not all the extra parts from the old engine. BUT, I'm guessing there's some I should replace. Either its valves or hoses, etc. Could you guys advise me on this? Thanks again for all your help!!!
Check with the shop. They may not want to do a customer supplied engine.