Replacing Tailgate and other inquiries

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Does anyone know what years (of GMC/Chevy) I can replace my tailgate, and or most of my body parts? And if possible, other mechanical parts/ interior?

1998 Chevy K3500
7.4L Vortec, 454 big block
Silverado Trim,
Crew Cab

P.S. Is this truly a bolt on exhaust? Do I really not have to do any welding? What would your suggestion be? (see link)
Exaust

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, all the GMT400s are interchangeable. The only difference in mounting is that the early trucks have metal arms instead of cables. The arms are a little jankier to deal with, but don't corrode through like the cables.

Whatever you do, consider putting a hose clamp around the socket so crackheads and fools can't steal your tailgate.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know, all the GMT400s are interchangeable. The only difference in mounting is that the early trucks have metal arms instead of cables. The arms are a little jankier to deal with, but don't corrode through like the cables.

Whatever you do, consider putting a hose clamp around the socket so crackheads and fools can't steal your tailgate.
If it's a dually, a tailgate from a pre-1996 will have the marker lights across the top of the tailgate instead of on a separate ID bar in the gap. Some may not care for that look.

A metal strap vs. cable tailgate will need the associated bolts from the bed where the straps hook up to fit correctly. A super easy swap as long as you don't forget those bolts. Bring your torx bits.

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If it's a dually, a tailgate from a pre-1996 will have the marker lights across the top of the tailgate instead of on a separate ID bar in the gap. Some may not care for that look.

A metal strap vs. cable tailgate will need the associated bolts from the bed where the straps hook up to fit correctly. A super easy swap as long as you don't forget those bolts. Bring your torx bits.

Richard
Yes it's a T40 Torx IIRC....