98 K3500 454 California Compliant rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverlander

Reaction score
Finalizing the purchase of a '98 Crew Cab Silverado 4x4 with an 8' bed and a hideous ALL blue interior. It has just shy of 200k miles and she is quite tired. I heard a knock/ping in cyl 1 when I inspected/test drove it while it also came back with a CEL for bank1 running rich. I'm purchasing for the body condition and overall good platform for a rebuild/restoration and regardless of the current engine/trans condition plan on overhauling and rebuilding everything back to factory+ standards.

(I'm selling my '04 Cateye Z71 to fund this build)

I'm looking to rebuild the original engine and trans (whether I rebuild the front end with upgraded hardware or SAS is tbd) as well as get her overall running well and exceeding factory specs. This will be the camping/hauling rig for my family for the next 10+ years. Hopefully longer.

My question is for those with experience with internal upgrades that can be done while remaining within CA smog requirements. To my knowledge, mild cams etc can remain smog compliant while also adding mild performance. I know there are CA compliant exhaust/intake/header options, my question is regarding the internals and how I squeeze some more power out of her while resurrecting this old girl from the dust.

To be completely honest, I'm looking to put a bit of my family spirit into this and am hoping I can get some assistance from the community. My father passed in Aug of this year (62 years old) and I want him to be a part of my families future, and this truck will be the vessel in which that takes place.

I'm not too concerned about the cost of it as long as I can remain CA smog compliant and show tribute to my father and bless my family.

Any tips/help/support is greatly appreciated.

TIA to all the Ladies and Gents of gmt400

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remaining CARB-legal will be fairly easy, but potentially expensive depending on how far you want to take it.

ZERO-DECK THE BLOCK to improve compression ratio, performance, and anti-knock qualities. Then the typical .040-thick head gasket is just right to achieve appropriate quench/squish.

Research CARB-approved aftermarket cylinder heads. The Vortec heads leave a lot to be desired in terms of performance. They're probably good for emissions and economy, however. I've heard but not verified that some folks have had good results from porting the Vortec heads.

I have NO idea how--or "if"--you can get a California-compliant re-tune of the computer. Pretty-much everything else hinges on what, if anything, you can do with the tune. CARB inspections are now verifying the computer tune, so you can't cheat. Whoever sells you a "tune" better provide paperwork showing it's CARB-compliant.

Is there a CARB-legal turbo or supercharger kit?

Consider non-engine performance upgrades--a REAL torque converter (not a mass-market abomination) and axle gearing come to mind.

Move out of Communifornia, drop in a HT502?

I never understood the desire for SAS.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get a crate 502 and bolt on your FI system. I say that because that’s what a buddy did on a 454 Suburban. He passed smog. Just had to use the 454 valve covers. This was a while back. But he still passes.

otherwise I would not get too wild on the build. i know they’re getting really stringent on the smogs.

Last edited:

Silverlander

Reaction score
Ended up finding a '95 K2500 Chevy Suburban with a 350 in much better condition overall. Looking into rebuilding this in a similar manner as it's a non-vortec design and had 180hp 295 ft/lb. I know there are benefits to swapping the TBI out but I'm going to wait till the motor gives up the ghost. Currently sitting at 207k miles and runs like a top. (Thank you SBC reliability).

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scrap the TBI cylinder heads, install Edelbrock or Summit TBI-Replacement aluminum heads. They're an easy bolt-on if you use hardened pushrods and non-self-aligning rocker arms, or you use spacers instead of the pushrod guideplates, and stock, self-aligning rocker arms. But don't use guideplates with self-aligning rockers, or with stock pushrods.

The Eddys are discontinued, I'd forgotten they existed until someone asked about them on www.speed-talk.com.

www.speed-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64267&sid=141d9fbb90186c5bff92d66e84e11c15

Jack-up the fuel pressure to the high side of spec. Maybe a little beyond...