Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
High altitude? Mountains? Forced induction wins that game. Ls wouldn't be on this list of things to do.

Last edited:

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Rockstar
Hello everyone, this is my first post. So please take it easy on me...

1998 Chevy K3500
7.4L V8 Vortex (454 big block)
Trim: Silverado; Crew Cab; Long-bed
VIN letter: J
I'd put another 454 in her, of the same engine family, either a known good used engine or a long block.
One thing you may consider...Do you, or anyone you know, know of a wrench spinner that makes house calls? If you can get someone proficient at this stuff, you can save a bit with your sweat equity and get an education simultaneously.

Do you have the tools?
Do you have the space?
Do you have the time?

OxDEADBEEF offered sage advice. It depends on what your goal is for this particular truck. Does it have sentimental value? Consider what size and weight camper you may get. Perhaps you won't need a 3500 and 454 for your towing needs.

Please keep us posted on what you decide.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Were it me given your stated aims I would look at the 8.1L. I see them on FB Marketplace low miles for less than $1k with the harness and PCM. Some even come with Allisons. I wouldn't think swapping in an 8.1L would be any more costly than swapping out a L29 if you do the work yourself so may as well gain a little performance and customization for the effort.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One issue with the 8.1 is the accessories. Need to get medium duty mounts or run no A/C. It's easier to swap than an LS, but not as easy as another 454....

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have you? On this specific year and model? Umm.... well.... 10K? for now?
After you do a few dozen LS swaps they are all the same in the end.
In 2005 i had a 2000 (GMT800) Silverado i had put a LQ4 in with a 4L80 and a BW S475 Turbo.
Towed every weekend, added helper bags on the rear and towed well over what the truck was rated for.
Put over 330,000 miles on that setup problem free.

If you cant do the work yourself then 10k wont get you far really.
Towing heavy you cant beat a diesel until the repair bills show up.
but im different, id rather have a turbo LS. I know more about them than anything else and id rather use a little more gas than have to work on a diesel that gets better mileage towing.

My brother had some 99 and 2000 trucks with stock 7.4L and after tuning them for 89 octane they still didnt compare to a LQ4 with 8-10psi boost. But i did all my own work and tuning so it really didnt cost me much and i had play money back then.

I really wish i could find my old dyno sheets.
It was 360ish rwtq at 2500 rpms and 460 or 480 rwtq at 3000rpms.
the dyno operator wouldnt let me start a pull at 1500rpms cause i wanted to see what it made down really low.
That same 6.0 has about 520,000 miles on it now and it smokes some but still cranks and runs good. So they hold up to a fair amount to heavy use.

I only have experience with 4 or 5 454 trucks so small sample size but ive built several turbo LS trucks for Daily/towing and others for racing. They are quite impressive but not cheap these days.

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
Rebuilt 7.4l does well with towing.(for a gasoline engine)

Stock lq4 6.0l truck engine:
HP: 300 at 4400 RPM
Torque: 360 lb-ft at 4000RPM

Stock lq9 6.0l higher compression version:
HP: 345 at 5200 RPM
Torque: 380 lb-ft at 4000RPM

Stock 7.4l vortec:
HP: 290 at 4000 RPM
Torque: 410 lb-ft at 3200RPM

Just doing a fresh lq9(rebuilt) swap with a shop doing the work, it would eat up a lot of the 10k budget. Going with a used pull out motor would be cheaper.

Right, right. Im honestly thinking of just putting another 454 in it. and just ajusting small stuff around it instead of the LS swap

ROCKSTAR

Reaction score
A) anyone who tells you an LS swap "can't be done" is full of shìt. Don't go back to those places. LS swapping stuff is super common.
B) put another 454 back in it and be done. Get a warmed up one (cam, heads, headers) and a tune.
No offense, but it seems you don't know enough about this stuff to do it yourself, and an engine swap probably isn't the best first thing to attempt. Buying another motor, taking your existing one out and putting another one just like it back in is far more simple.
No offense taken. I truly only learning now. Long story short, I've never had a male figure to teach me this stuff. So, unfortunately I'm having to YouTube this stuff and try to figure it out on my own. Anyways, the only reason I considered doing an LS swap is because I have to get a new engine anyways. But because of it being so (intricate?) I'm now just thinking of tuning it up. That being said, is there any info that I can get on the (cam, heads, headers, and intake)?