Horsepower estimate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dk47

Reaction score
I live in a rural area with no Dyno close that I'm aware of so I'm looking for some educated estimates for how much HP I'm making. I know with all the knowledge and experience on this forum I can get some. This is what I've done. Had machine shop vat and prep block, vat and deck heads, cut down spring blocks. I pulled and installed screw in rocker studs.
97 vortec 350 with stock bottom end except high volume oil pump.
New lifters, push rods, bee hive springs. Howards rattler cam with 525 intake and exhaust lift. Edelbrock intake and AVS2 carb. Headers with true dual exhaust with no cats. I'm probably forgetting something. I would just like a estimate of what I'm making.
Thanks again

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I live in a rural area with no Dyno close that I'm aware of so I'm looking for some educated estimates for how much HP I'm making. I know with all the knowledge and experience on this forum I can get some. This is what I've done. Had machine shop vat and prep block, vat and deck heads, cut down spring blocks. I pulled and installed screw in rocker studs.
97 vortec 350 with stock bottom end except high volume oil pump.
New lifters, push rods, bee hive springs. Howards rattler cam with 525 intake and exhaust lift. Edelbrock intake and AVS2 carb. Headers with true dual exhaust with no cats. I'm probably forgetting something. I would just like a estimate of what I'm making.
Thanks again
Not seeing a .525/.525 rattler got a part # I am seeing a .525/.530 one and no really diggin the specs for an otherwise bone stock build.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
400-420 hp and 420-440 tq if tuned correctly. I hope you have hydroboost because you will not have much idle vacuum. Cam also needs a converter that stalls ~2,500-3,000 rpm. It is going to be a dog off idle with the overlap from 227/235 @ 0.050 on a tight LSA. It is going to want to idle around 850 rpm in gear, definitely want the vacuum advance on the manifold vacuum port. The carb assuming 625 cfm version is a little small for the application but should be responsive.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That L31 has less head flow and less compression than my 383. My cam has less duration and less overlap. My 383 is not happy under load until it is over 1,500 rpm. Best guess is that cam will not be happy in a 350 until it is spinning 2,000+ rpm. It will run under 2,000 rpm but it will misfire, lurch, skip, jump, surge and generally tell you it is not happy under load at lower rpm.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
400-420 hp and 420-440 tq if tuned correctly. I hope you have hydroboost because you will not have much idle vacuum. Cam also needs a converter that stalls ~2,500-3,000 rpm. It is going to be a dog off idle with the overlap from 227/235 @ 0.050 on a tight LSA. It is going to want to idle around 850 rpm in gear, definitely want the vacuum advance on the manifold vacuum port. The carb assuming 625 cfm version is a little small for the application but should be responsive.
cam I was looking was was 227/236 or 7 at .050, 2.5k+ converter is first thing I thought. 2nd thought is that it's Howards version on a mother thumpr but I seldom look at their stuff to know what they call their product lines and there was nothing definitive in the description. From the power standpoint generally you leave some on the table with those types of cams. Thinking it's going to be soft down low as well. Not a fan of ebrocks once you start getting past the mid 220s @.050. and low vacuum.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
cam I was looking was was 227/236 or 7 at .050, 2.5k+ converter is first thing I thought. 2nd thought is that it's Howards version on a mother thumpr but I seldom look at their stuff to know what they call their product lines and there was nothing definitive in the description. From the power standpoint generally you leave some on the table with those types of cams. Thinking it's going to be soft down low as well. Not a fan of ebrocks once you start getting past the mid 220s @.050. and low vacuum.
I am not a fan of Edelbrock carbs myself. I generally use modified Q-Jets. Q-Jets are about the most adjustable carburetors made once you know what all the passageways do and how to resize them as needed.

Ed Isklederian and David Vizard will generally tell you to use a single pattern grind for a street application because a properly specified and degreed single pattern grind will offer the most average torque within a given power band. There was an engine masters team that gained close to 50 ft/lbs without trading off peak horsepower dropping to a 1.3 ratio exhaust rocker, negating the dual pattern grind they initially choose. The 383 in the van gained 20 ft/lbs going from a 1.7 exhaust rocker to a 1.5 rocker mostly negating Comps custom 10* split they claimed would make more torque. An engine with log manifolds may run better with a dual pattern grind but I feel anything with headers will run best with a single pattern grind.

Last edited:

Dk47

Reaction score
Carb is 650 cfm. It idles at 600 in gear. I don't have a problem with it. Idles like I want, no problem with the convertor and it hauls a**. I just wanted a estimate on HP. I'm not changing anything

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Edelbrock carbs myself. I generally use modified Q-Jets. Q-Jets are about the most adjustable carburetors made once you know what all the passageways do and how to resize them as needed.

Ed Isklederian will generally tell you to use a single pattern grind for a street application because a properly specified and degreed single pattern grind will offer the most average torque within a given power band. There was an engine masters team that gained close to 50 ft/lbs without trading off peak horsepower dropping to a 1.3 ratio exhaust rocker, negating the dual pattern grind they initially choose. The 383 in the van gained 20 ft/lbs going from a 1.7 exhaust rocker to a 1.5 rocker mostly negating Comps custom 10* split they claimed would make more torque.
If your exhaust port flow is roughly 75-80% of you intake flow a single pattern wins hands down every single time. Most head porters shoot for that I/E ratio. There's a new crop of cam grinders out there but if it could be tried it was.....in the 60's. They knew then they could push the ramp intensity on the bigger Mopar and AMC lifters and when they tried on chevies it ate the cams. Mopars guys been running faster rate cams sine the sixties. Harley has been putting Roller cams in everything since 1903, the only recent innovations are the current crop of fast rate cams and beehives and we're breaking more stuff then ever lol. i don't blame it entirely on the cams.

Dk47

Reaction score
I had to Google a hydroboost. Don't have one and have no vacuum problems or brake problems. It runs strong from idle rpm on up. No misfire, lurch, skip, jump, or surge. My cam: Howards Cams 188005-09 Hydraulic Roller Rattler Camshaft