Looking for a Whipple for 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone gotta lead on the title? It’s really going on an HT383e, which is same/same as 350 Vortec. Been looking for one of these unicorn’s for months,....and find nada. I see on our classified’s section, one’s for sale on a 454,...... but, don’t know if we can “make” it work on our 5.7’s. Thanks fellars.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wasn't aware Whipple ever made a 2.3 kit for the 350. It looks to me like one could bolt a 2.3 to the 350 mounts, but that'll put your throttle body through the firewall without a custom inlet. The 454 setup is night and day different.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apologies guys, Supercharged111 is right,... I believe it the 1.6L. Anybody gotta lead on one. Don’t know how to change the title now,......durn. Should’ve left the 2.3 out.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hahaha,.... would be bad*ss, but, wanna keep er looking stock (body wise anyway). Anybody know how to change the title once a threads already started?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Anyone gotta lead on the title? It’s really going on an HT383e, which is same/same as 350 Vortec. Been looking for one of these unicorn’s for months,....and find nada. I see on our classified’s section, one’s for sale on a 454,...... but, don’t know if we can “make” it work on our 5.7’s. Thanks fellars.
I think you're looking for a 1.6L whipple, that's all they made for the vortecs. Anyways, keep an eye on ebay and craigslist, they pop up on there every once and a while. I just bought 2 from those websites not long ago. If you don't mind waiting till July or August, I might be able to sell one ;)

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks man, yes sir, I messed up on the 2.3,.....it’s the 1.6L,..... whadja give for them, if you don’t mind me asking? Was their any rebuilding required, and if so, what/ where’d you get it done? You stationed overseas? Been there, done that, but, mine wasn’t in a cool place like South Korea, it was the Middle East for me.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a guy that put a 2.3 on a 383 in a Tahoe but it requires alot of custom work. Then he ditched the 383 and went big block.

I wouldn't waste my time. 383 with good cam and heads with an intake swap will make more power than that whipple ever thought of on a stock HT383. The 1.6L will not make much or any boost on a 383 when the RPM rises. You can pulley it up but it will really stress the blower and overheat the intake charge. Better off with something like a Procharger.

My 383 is close to 500 hp and 500 tq. Started pulling it apart this afternoon to go with a bigger cam. Uprgarding from the Comp Cams 218/228 @ 0.050" on a 110 lsa cam to a Lunati 232/244@ 0.050 on a 108. 0.578" lift to 0.627 lift. Keeping the Rhoads Vmax lifters so that it runs like a 212/224 cam at lower engine speeds. The cam should add another 30-40 hp and not push the peak HP over 6,200 rpm.

Also adding a 1200 cfm 4bbl throttle body to it in place of the current 90mm LS throttle body.

Collectively I am shooting for 550 hp @ 6,200 from an 11:1 6" rod 383.

A different intake manifold, a throttle body change, a 4" air intake and 100mm maf would make a HUGE difference if you are still running the stock L31 garbage.

I am thinking a single plane EFI intake, 42 lbs/hr injectors, Holley 4150 flange 4bbl to 102mm LS adapter, 102mm LS throttle body, 4" air intake and 100mm maf.

Last edited:

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Thanks man, yes sir, I messed up on the 2.3,.....it’s the 1.6L,..... whadja give for them, if you don’t mind me asking? Was their any rebuilding required, and if so, what/ where’d you get it done? You stationed overseas? Been there, done that, but, mine wasn’t in a cool place like South Korea, it was the Middle East for me.

I Paid $1,800 for this one, appears to be in pretty good shape from all the pictures and videos the guy sent.
You must be registered for see images

I paid $500 for this one, unknown condition. Only got it because it came with all the bits and pieces.

They're both at back home with my truck so I haven't got a good look over on them. But I've heard good things about this guy's rebuilds and rebuild kits https://jonbondperformance.com/

Korea ain't too bad, but I'd rather be back in the states :banghead::)