Looking for a Whipple for 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
383 with heads and a cam is a good bit more than I paid to Whipple my truck. Awest that's a 454 throttle body on that first blower pic FYI.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
383 with heads and a cam is a good bit more than I paid to Whipple my truck. Awest that's a 454 throttle body on that first blower pic FYI.
The original poster already has the HT383 in his truck. Its just choked by the cast iron vortecs, the tiny 395' cam and stock truck intake manifold. Last time I checked heads and cam are cheaper than having to find and buy an obsolete blower that possibly needs a rebuild. An aftermarket port fuel injected intake is also cheaper than buying and adapting the marine intake needed to run the whipple.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And as soon as they cammed it. . .

Ultimately, the XE282 cam and the half-point bump in compression changed this 383 from an ideal towing/daily driver engine to a hot rod engine that could easily be driven anywhere with some nice bragging rights.Ultimately, the XE282 cam and the half-point bump in compression changed this 383 from an ideal towing/daily driver engine to a hot rod engine that could easily be driven anywhere with some nice bragging rights.

Yes it does still make good low end torque, but not as good as it did with the smaller cam.

run96k3500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone gotta lead on the title? It’s really going on an HT383e, which is same/same as 350 Vortec. Been looking for one of these unicorn’s for months,....and find nada. I see on our classified’s section, one’s for sale on a 454,...... but, don’t know if we can “make” it work on our 5.7’s. Thanks fellars.

My kit for the 454 is supposed to work on the 5.7. You’d just have to add have a plenum made from
The SC discharge into your intake manifold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOU HAVE ONE???? For sale??? Fabing a plenum, I can do. Is it complete/everything needed to plug and PLAAAAAAY?

Thanks guys,.... and yes Sir, i’m on HPTuners/ do my own 0411 tuning (not an expert, but, not too bad),.... guys on HPTuners forum have helped me a lot. A lot of good people there.
I hear you guys on intake, heads, cam, 1.6 rockers, etc. I’ve done all that research in the past too. That Edelbrock intake did peak my interest,.... I looked at the questions (on the Summit page), one question’s answer said no, won’t work on 96+, the other question answer said it would. Ok, so, now I need to call em. Has anyone put one of these on their 96-99L31’s? Is it direct bolt on/ any fab required? I believe OlBlue did his (on HPTuners), but could be wrong.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
YOU HAVE ONE???? For sale??? Fabing a plenum, I can do. Is it complete/everything needed to plug and PLAAAAAAY?

Thanks guys,.... and yes Sir, i’m on HPTuners/ do my own 0411 tuning (not an expert, but, not too bad),.... guys on HPTuners forum have helped me a lot. A lot of good people there.
I hear you guys on intake, heads, cam, 1.6 rockers, etc. I’ve done all that research in the past too. That Edelbrock intake did peak my interest,.... I looked at the questions (on the Summit page), one question’s answer said no, won’t work on 96+, the other question answer said it would. Ok, so, now I need to call em. Has anyone put one of these on their 96-99L31’s? Is it direct bolt on/ any fab required? I believe OlBlue did his (on HPTuners), but could be wrong.

Their default answer is that it will not work. That being said some slight fabrication, some wiring nodification, a few parts and it will fit perfectly fine. It will bolt directly to the heads but that is where the bolt-on stops. You would need to find a throttle body or intake elbow to run a LS throttle body. The air intake system would need to be changed. Your fuel system would need to be replumbed. Your cooling system would also need to be replumbed. None of this is difficult but it can cost some money and take some time. Even the L31 marine intake is far from bolt on and go though. That being said the only intake manifold that is technically street legal from an emissions stand point is the stock one.

I run a marine dual plane manifold on my 97 Express van.