Looking for a Whipple for 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with L31 about the 1.6L whipple being too small for a 383, the combination of heat and not enough boost may be a wash. The 2.3L on the other hand should work well since it works on 454s. You probably would never have to kick down on hills empty I'd imagine.

Personally, never having to drop out of OD when empty is worth the extra effort of a blower.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with L31 about the 1.6L whipple being too small for a 383, the combination of heat and not enough boost may be a wash. The 2.3L on the other hand should work well since it works on 454s. You probably would never have to kick down on hills empty I'd imagine.

Personally, never having to drop out of OD when empty is worth the extra effort of a blower.

The 4L60E won't like that at all. I had a Weiand 177 on a TBI with a built 4L60E behind it. I smoked 3 of them trying to run down the road in OD. Smoked clutches in 1 and broke hard parts in the other 2.

Will say though my heavy ass Express van did not drop out of Overdrive with the 350/4L85E and 3.73s while rolling on 30.5" tall 20s.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4L60E won't like that at all. I had a Weiand 177 on a TBI with a built 4L60E behind it. I smoked 3 of them trying to run down the road in OD. Smoked clutches in 1 and broke hard parts in the other 2.

Maybe I'm thinking of someone else from HPT forum, but I think @Hutchinson is 4l80 swapped? If not then it'll probably have to happen sooner than later.

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool guys, been talking to run96K3500 on PM,.... I’m mofuckin game, just gotta negotiate price, and do some more research before I pull trigger,....with you guys help.

Firstly, I’ve already got parts list/ sources for the 1 Ton NV4500 Manual upgrade. Going from auto to Manual. The FLT 4L60e I have does good for now, no complaints, it hooks up hard/ no issues,.....but, in the interest of bulletproof, I want a 1 ton Manual,...... don’t want trans issues later. I’ll be selling the FLT cheap (compared to what I paid) soon,.... only 5000 miles.

Second issue, gotta have a marine intake (or maybe the Edlebrock EFI), don’t wanna starve the boost. I’ve already done the 0411, and somewhat OK with HPTuners. Supercharged111, need your help on the dude that used to sell them “ready to go”, minus the wiring for injectors (which I can do easily).

Third issue, I see the 2.3L for our 454 is mounted on the passenger side, whereas, the 350, is mounted on the drivers side. I may be wrong, but, from pics I researched today, this is what it looks like. Can’t see that working in my head yet. I can tig weld all the accessories needed for retrofitting.

Believe me fellars, I’m game to give this a go,....and have the cash, just wanna make sure all our ducks are in a row before we bang. I gotta rely on you guys to help me with the technical stuff,.... never done a SC,....especially, putting one in that ain’t specifically bolt and play. I turn wrenches good, got a lot of old school in me, but an SC will be an adventure,......the military in me is saying, **** it, let’s get the **** on with it!!!!

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we, as a team, can get this nailed down, I’ll pic/document this upgrade on here, so everyone can see “how to/ issues incurred”. I’m game fellars,......seriously game.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Cool guys, been talking to run96K3500 on PM,.... I’m mofuckin game, just gotta negotiate price, and do some more research before I pull trigger,....with you guys help.

Firstly, I’ve already got parts list/ sources for the 1 Ton NV4500 Manual upgrade. Going from auto to Manual. The FLT 4L60e I have does good for now, no complaints, it hooks up hard/ no issues,.....but, in the interest of bulletproof, I want a 1 ton Manual,...... don’t want trans issues later. I’ll be selling the FLT cheap (compared to what I paid) soon,.... only 5000 miles.

Second issue, gotta have a marine intake (or maybe the Edlebrock EFI), don’t wanna starve the boost. I’ve already done the 0411, and somewhat OK with HPTuners. Supercharged111, need your help on the dude that used to sell them “ready to go”, minus the wiring for injectors (which I can do easily).

Third issue, I see the 2.3L for our 454 is mounted on the passenger side, whereas, the 350, is mounted on the drivers side. I may be wrong, but, from pics I researched today, this is what it looks like. Can’t see that working in my head yet. I can tig weld all the accessories needed for retrofitting.

Believe me fellars, I’m game to give this a go,....and have the cash, just wanna make sure all our ducks are in a row before we bang. I gotta rely on you guys to help me with the technical stuff,.... never done a SC,....especially, putting one in that ain’t specifically bolt and play. I turn wrenches good, got a lot of old school in me, but an SC will be an adventure,......the military in me is saying, **** it, let’s get the **** on with it!!!!
I've seen someone on here saying they took the 2.3L unit and grafted it to the 1.6L (350) mounting system with minimal machine work. If you'd like to try that I could probably get someone back home to remove the mounting system from one of mine and send it to you. Because honestly I don't see the 454 mount working with the 350 at all.

Edit: I believe all they had to do was hog out the intake and exhaust to fit the bigger unit, pretty sure the bolt holes line up.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 454 mounts are night and day different. Try getting with the guy stationed in Korea, he should have 2 of the blower outlets with the idler pulley plate. That's be by far the worst piece to fab. You'd still need the inlet and bonnet among other things.