Longtube headers for 98 k1500 5.7 vortec??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edcoxjr1968

Reaction score
Those Hedmans won't fit,they're for a T-bucket or open wheel modified race car.
I found these;
I didn't think those looked like something that would work; the weird part is that on the Summit website those two Hedmans and the Stainless Works set are the only three that come up when I put in my vehicle parameters and search for long-tube headers. And with the two that you just posted when checked vehicle fitment it shows that they don't fit! So I don't know gives when it comes to finding headers for this era truck... You'd think there'd still be a strong market for them.

What are your thoughts on these ebay headers for $250? I'm sure they're made in China and might be junk but they're stainless, 1-5/8" primaries and look pretty good in the pics. They don't appear to have ports for EGR and upper O2 sensors so that would require tuning; can that be done with the blackbox or would I need to swap for a 411?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm a rookie when it comes to all this stuff!

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plugged your truck into google and those headers popped up.
We just had a discussion about those chinese headers,maybe you can be crash test dummy.
I ain't doing it,the chinese can keep their garbage. There are some parts that just can't be acquired from anywhere else but if I can get it from anywhere else I'm not getting it from china.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I didn't think those looked like something that would work; the weird part is that on the Summit website those two Hedmans and the Stainless Works set are the only three that come up when I put in my vehicle parameters and search for long-tube headers. And with the two that you just posted when checked vehicle fitment it shows that they don't fit! So I don't know gives when it comes to finding headers for this era truck... You'd think there'd still be a strong market for them.

What are your thoughts on these ebay headers for $250? I'm sure they're made in China and might be junk but they're stainless, 1-5/8" primaries and look pretty good in the pics. They don't appear to have ports for EGR and upper O2 sensors so that would require tuning; can that be done with the blackbox or would I need to swap for a 411?

Sorry for all the questions; I'm a rookie when it comes to all this stuff!

A few points on my truck:

• The headers I actually bought are sold out on ebay. The link I had up on GMT400.com died, so I found the closest thing I could. Basically they look exactly the same. The primary tubes on these trucks need to sweep back up high, then come down in a group like a single pipe. The starter, tight frame rails, and steering shaft all take up space.
  • I was MOSTLY worried about the geometry of the headers – can they be bolted in without interference? I did have to dent in the vertical portion of the passenger side heat shield. Just one hit with a soft hammer.
  • I was NOT worried about any ports on the headers– those can be plugged or added pretty easily. My LT1 motor has NO EGR, and only one O2 sensor. It’s a FAST XFI computer.
  • Because my LT1 has D-Port heads, I had to have my eBay headers modified with the proper flanges. I bought the flanges from StainlessHeaders.com. They cost over $300, which is more than the headers. I forgot to add them on my little cost table. This also meant I had to buy 1” header bolts because of the thickness of these flanges.
  • The welding time cost more than anything.
  • The drivers side header is farther inboard because the motor is shifted towards the passenger side in the frame on these trucks.
  • For whatever reason, the driver side header collector came out lower (closer to the floor) than the passenger side. Because of this, I made an offset in the pipe between the cat converter and the crossover (h-pipe). This offset is rolled to push the muffler closer to the driver side frame rail, and up over the cross-members.
  • A 3” pipe would have zero clearance above the crossmembers.

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is what mine looked like after adding the expensive stainless flanges with D-Ports:
You must be registered for see images attach

revmatcher

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The outer primaries were just welded to the flange stubs. The inners were modified with nicer stainless tubing. These are 1 5/8" into 2.5" collector.

edcoxjr1968

Reaction score
A few points on my truck:

• The headers I actually bought are sold out on ebay. The link I had up on GMT400.com died, so I found the closest thing I could. Basically they look exactly the same. The primary tubes on these trucks need to sweep back up high, then come down in a group like a single pipe. The starter, tight frame rails, and steering shaft all take up space.
  • I was MOSTLY worried about the geometry of the headers – can they be bolted in without interference? I did have to dent in the vertical portion of the passenger side heat shield. Just one hit with a soft hammer.
  • I was NOT worried about any ports on the headers– those can be plugged or added pretty easily. My LT1 motor has NO EGR, and only one O2 sensor. It’s a FAST XFI computer.
  • Because my LT1 has D-Port heads, I had to have my eBay headers modified with the proper flanges. I bought the flanges from StainlessHeaders.com. They cost over $300, which is more than the headers. I forgot to add them on my little cost table. This also meant I had to buy 1” header bolts because of the thickness of these flanges.
  • The welding time cost more than anything.
  • The drivers side header is farther inboard because the motor is shifted towards the passenger side in the frame on these trucks.
  • For whatever reason, the driver side header collector came out lower (closer to the floor) than the passenger side. Because of this, I made an offset in the pipe between the cat converter and the crossover (h-pipe). This offset is rolled to push the muffler closer to the driver side frame rail, and up over the cross-members.
  • A 3” pipe would have zero clearance above the crossmembers.

Thank for the info revmatcher and my bad, I now recall that you mentioned the link to the headers you bought was gone. Btw, That is one nice Tahoe you have there! What year is it? I'd say you got a helluva deal on it for 7k. And nice breakdown on the cost for your headers/exhaust; I had no idea what this kinda mod would run.

You stated your engine is an LT1; I was under the impression all these trucks had L31's in them... Could you educate me a bit on the difference and which truck had which engine?

So as far as ebay headers I found these and it says they will fit my '97 K-1500 whereas in the ebay the link you posted the heading states 88-95. I'm not really sure what the difference is but for some reason on the compatibility table for the ones on the link you provided it lists a 97 C-1500 but not a K-1500. The table for these does show 97 K-1500. I can't really tell any difference from the pics; maybe it's the same item from different sellers with slightly different descriptions/compatibility tables. They look pretty much identical, both have an O2 port, 1-5/8' primaries, 2.5" collectors, etc.

Like Scooter stated above, I too hate buying stuff from China but at this point there's just not much else to choose from. And for $250 they're pretty hard to beat.

So just that I'm clear on what I'm getting into here; if I put these headers on and they have a port for the O2 sensor then I'm good to go as far as the cats and not getting any codes, right? However there is no provision for EGR and I'll have to have that tuned out, correct? And is the stock blackbox computer capable of tuning out the EGR or will I need to do 411 swap?

Sorry for all the questions I'm new to all this stuff and don't want to go down the wrong hole.