Headers, headers, HEADERS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know why, but the factory OEM's were the last one to get the "memo" about how much a good exhaust boosts performance, if they ever got it at all.

Someone will say "longevity". My last set of headers was the very cheapest I could find that I put on my 1980 big block Blazer. It was my daily driver, and those cheap headers were virtually trouble free for 20 years. I literally never touched them once, after installation.

Vettepilot

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why, but the factory OEM's were the last one to get the "memo" about how much a good exhaust boosts performance, if they ever got it at all.

Someone will say "longevity". My last set of headers was the very cheapest I could find that I put on my 1980 big block Blazer. It was my daily driver, and those cheap headers were virtually trouble free for 20 years. I literally never touched them once, after installation.

Vettepilot
Your lucky if a modern car does not run a shared port exhaust head now.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You mean back to flathead Ford technology?
Atleast the flat head had 3 ports, the newer engines have one.

Dodge, GM and Honda are all using this garbage now. Reminds me of the I6 engines with the intake integral to the head casting.

This is a GM 3.6L V6. I guess it would be pretty easy to hang a pair of turbos on one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went through Nissan school while our trucks were still in production. The Infiniti Q45 had headers and an H-pipe from the factory, and I kept wondering why the domestic manufacturers weren't even trying.

Dodge, GM and Honda are all using this garbage now. Reminds me of the I6 engines with the intake integral to the head casting.
Yup, but I have to give credit to Honda, my buddy's K24-swapped Miata is running the integral exhaust head and he's getting north of 300 hp out of it. The separate-exhaust heads only came in Acuras, and they command a premium.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went through Nissan school while our trucks were still in production. The Infiniti Q45 had headers and an H-pipe from the factory, and I kept wondering why the domestic manufacturers weren't even trying.

Yup, but I have to give credit to Honda, my buddy's K24-swapped Miata is running the integral exhaust head and he's getting north of 300 hp out of it. The separate-exhaust heads only came in Acuras, and they command a premium.
My 2011 M56S had tri-y manifolds ahead of the cats, but for some reason still had the same Y-pipe and cat back as the V6 cars. The stock exhaust was horrible on that car past the manifolds and it still made 420 hp out of 5.6L. 2.5" duals with a X-pipe and magnaflow magnapack race mufflers woke that car up and gave it a very modern 5.0L Mustang with aftermarket exhaust kind of pleasing exhaust noise. Get that exhaust to breathe in those M56S models and they roll on, one vs a 392 Scat Pack. M56 is a 4,400 lbs car as well.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The big thing here is dont get CHEAP headers, you willl have flange warping issues (replacing gaskets like crazy) ive even seen welds break. I know it costs, get a brand name set...

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have GREAT luck with cheap headers. Last set on a Blazer did not need touched until the Mexico salt air rusted them clean through after nearly 20 years.

I saw cut the flanges in two between each cylinder. Then I used TWO gaskets coated with silicone. Re-tighten twice after warm up--> never touch again! I've used this procedure on many vehicles with super success. I far prefer it to thick flanges. Once warped, those are done.

Use good muffler hangers.

Vettepilot

Wait, I lied. I just recalled I did replace collector gaskets one time in that 20 years. That Blazer was a daily driver too...

Last edited: