Headers, headers, HEADERS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I would be surprised if this has not been covered, likely many times, but I can't find definitive info on it, plus sometimes get chastised for posting in older threads. So, here goes:

1994 GMC K1500 4x4 with 5.7 and 4L60e.

Do long tube headers fit?? I see and hear conflicting info on this, and due to circumstances it would be a real pain to buy them and find out they won't fit!!

What's a good cheap set if they fit? Before the quality hounds jump in, I've had great luck with cheap headers. My last set lasted 18 years on my 454 Blazer, in Mexico beach town use!

Also, I would really like to use long tubes, so trying to sell me on intermediates or shorties would be wasted effort.

Thanks!!

Vettepilot

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I am hoping to hear from someone that has a 1994 4wd exactly like mine. There seems to be some confusion on this, as I've heard the headers for 1996 won't fit the 1994 4x4. Hoping to learn the whole scoop here.

I saw one YouTube video where he showed inteference with the diff plus the driveline, and swore long tubes won't fit.

???

Vettepilot

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I am hoping to hear from someone that has a 1994 4wd exactly like mine. There seems to be some confusion on this, as I've heard the headers for 1996 won't fit the 1994 4x4. Hoping to learn the whole scoop here.

I saw one YouTube video where he showed inteference with the diff plus the driveline, and swore long tubes won't fit.

???

Vettepilot

Maybe not square body long tubes. The difference between 94 and 96 is the change from TBI to Vortec and thus the EGR plumbing. I've had these headers on both engines in 2wd and 4wd. If you have a header in mind and the manufacturer says it fits, then it probably does.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, got ya on the Vortec. And something like that is no big deal. For example, I am going to install another O2 sensor bung anyway for my wideband AFR tuner.

The question I believe lies in fitment with the independent suspension 4 wheel drive and torsion bars. Header mfgs haven't responded. I have a query posted in Summit.

My straight axle 4wd 1980 Blazer had tons and tons of header room, even with the big block I installed. The IFS and torsion bars is another deal.

Thanks,
Vettepilot

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, Summit has answered and confirmed that their Hedman 69440 will fit my application. I hope that they are correct. Not sure where the negative info came from...

Thanks,
Vettepilot

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
69390 would pair nicely with my plow truck now that you've shifted my focus to headers. $299 on Summit with free shipping too. :cool:

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
Long time ago I considered headers. ( '88 C2500 350 V8 stock ).....

I worked with a few NHRA racers & their suppliers......Including header manufacturers.
Headers? Unless you have modified your performance .... Do Not Waste Your Money.
Unless you like the different sound it creates, or they look 'cool' under the hood.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Long time ago I considered headers. ( '88 C2500 350 V8 stock ).....

I worked with a few NHRA racers & their suppliers......Including header manufacturers.
Headers? Unless you have modified your performance .... Do Not Waste Your Money.
Unless you like the different sound it creates, or they look 'cool' under the hood.

And anyone who's ever actually done it would tell you otherwise. I've had "experts" try and tell me the same thing and my personal experience is that they're full of shjt and have obviously never tried it themselves.

Vettepilot

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically, headers help most anything, if the rest of the exhaust is done right as well. On lower performance builds, the gains might be modest, but they exist. The sound is a nice bonus.

Getting the exhaust out of the engine efficiently is never a bad thing, and doing it "better" is just a good thing to do in any case. Even the OEM's have trended to better exhaust systems over older "log manifold", horrid designs.

On my '87 Corvette, as most people know, the TPI induction system is designed to max out at a lowly 4500 rpms. Still, the car has a form of "headers" installed, from the factory. The point being, an efficient exhaust is good even for a low rpm engine.

Vettepilot