Longevity of OEM distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've heard the UMP distributor is good quality (for whatever that means), I have no experience with them personally though.
I'd guess it's a China shaft/etc. with the UMP cap, rotor, and module? Dunno. The cap, rotor, and wires they offer seem to be good quality.

I think if I were buying parts separately I wouldn't consider their module, but that may be irrational and based strictly on price. I'd pick Delphi or GM and those probably aren't realistically any "better"

The only "US-made" distributors I've noticed recently are Pertronix, and their offerings for this particular application do not claim US-made. My bet would be the China castings are sourced from one maker and sold in bulk to a number of different brand names.

Richard

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd guess it's a China shaft/etc. with the UMP cap, rotor, and module? Dunno. The cap, rotor, and wires they offer seem to be good quality.

I think if I were buying parts separately I wouldn't consider their module, but that may be irrational and based strictly on price. I'd pick Delphi or GM and those probably aren't realistically any "better"

The only "US-made" distributors I've noticed recently are Pertronix, and their offerings for this particular application do not claim US-made. My bet would be the China castings are sourced from one maker and sold in bulk to a number of different brand names.

Richard
LOL, when I bought mine I put a GM module in it, put the one it came with in the glovebox.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought the tbi version of this. Made in USA.

You must be registered for see images attach
Is it installed yet? Are all indications it’s Made In USA?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I contacted these guys, you pay for it then they make it…in U.S supposedly.
Nothing on that web page actually says the country-of-origin. Could be "hand built to order" anywhere on Earth, which would also account for the 6-to-8-week lead time. Or hand-assembled in USA from crates of imported parts.

If it was truly made in USA, I'd expect them to say so.

Call and ask.

I bought the tbi version of this. Made in USA.

www.performancedistributors.com/product/gm-computer-controlled-distributors/?attribute_pa_gm-fi-distributors=chevrolet-v8-1987-1993-cars-and-1987-1996-trucks-remote-coil&attribute_pa_color-choice=blue

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it installed yet? Are all indications it’s Made In USA?
It is not installed yet, so I went out to the garage and pulled the boxes for the distributor and coil, nowhere on them does it say Made in USA. I don’t remember why, but I always thought that their stuff was made here. I have used a couple of distributors in the past and never had any issues and always thought it was good quality stuff.

Nothing on that web page actually says the country-of-origin. Could be "hand built to order" anywhere on Earth, which would also account for the 6-to-8-week lead time. Or hand-assembled in USA from crates of imported parts.

If it was truly made in USA, I'd expect them to say so.

Call and ask.

www.performancedistributors.com/product/gm-computer-controlled-distributors/?attribute_pa_gm-fi-distributors=chevrolet-v8-1987-1993-cars-and-1987-1996-trucks-remote-coil&attribute_pa_color-choice=blue

I think you are on to something here. This made me search around and see if I could find anything. Best I can tell is they assemble at least the distributors in Tennessee, probably with “globally sourced parts “. I will edit my first post. Maybe I’ll call, and maybe by tomorrow I won’t see the need.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’ll call, and maybe by tomorrow I won’t see the need.
Yeah. There's not much point to calling, I think we all know what the answer will be.

Not that the answer makes much difference, because the Federal Trade Commission which should be monitoring/regulating this, is more of an industry lapdog, than a consumer watchdog.

Wild Guess: The distributor housings for pretty-much all of these distributors are cast and machined in the same Chinese factory. Notice that they've all been cut for O-rings down by the distributor gear even though GM never did that.

I think they're all or nearly-all coming from the same factory, and MAYBE some resellers are putting better modules and caps on them (or maybe they're just putting fancy stickers on the junk modules.)