Distributor gear wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
here's that SMP ad for its Vortec replacement distributors

The SMP replacement Vortec distributor PN's are Z95001 for V8 and Z95002 for V6

Me thinks it's more likely BOTH NAPA Echlin and SMP Vortec distributors made in same USA plant.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here the SMP ad

The SMP replacement Vortec distributor PN's are Z95001 for V8 and Z95002 for V6

Me thinks it's more likely BOTH NAPA Echlin and SMP Vortec distributors made in same USA plant.
Did you read posts #15 and #16?

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you read posts #15 and #16?
Yes, I did ...'though not clear if those posts refer to the NAPA Echlin/SMP pieces ... Yes I see the United dist w/ alum housing. I'm more impressed by either SMP or Echlin Very Loooong history of good quality. And yes, I know they produce/source offshore as well. But when either of them state it's USA (they often state other countries as well; have worldwide ops) then I trust their word. Again, Long history. FWIW, ECHLIN is, repeat IS an SMP brand. FWIW, Accel was born from Echlin and its desire to design, manufacture and market a line of performance ignition parts ... that was also Looong ago.

** I'm faced with ignition work on a last gen Astro van ... distributor location makes that work several orders of magnitude more difficult than under hood of pickups etc. I'm considering what may be the most reliable parts option(s). Getting access to Astro/Safari dist is PITA and I'm neither young or a gymnast.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve heard some good reviews on the Echlin, probably heard more on the UMP. I’m all for USA too bud. :patriot: