Cheap Distributor Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95 Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been chasing a miss forever. It was there before I rebuilt the engine and there after. It only does it at idle. It only acts up in gear with my foot on the break. The reluctor was cracked on the old distributor so I bought a whole distributor from rock auto. I still have the miss. The whole ignition system has been replaced. Is it possible the rock auto special distributor is causing it? Any way to test?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It only acts up in gear with my foot on the break.
Steady miss, or the engine stumbling? Try pinching off the brake booster hose and see if the misfire goes away. If so, the diaphragm in your brake booster is bad.

95 Tahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steady miss, or the engine stumbling? Try pinching off the brake booster hose and see if the misfire goes away. If so, the diaphragm in your brake booster is bad.
Brake booster is good.it was replaced last year and holds vacuum. It's more of sthmble that can last several seconds depending. Seems worse with the AC running but that's probably more load on the engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was there before the distributor replacement, it's not likely to be the new distributor, is it?

How old are the usual "tune-up" items--cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs? EGR, PCV working correctly? Vacuum leaks? Initial timing set properly?

What is the fuel pressure?

Connect a scan tool, verify ALL sensors and computer outputs.

Consider a cylinder-balance test to see if it's one or two specific cylinders, or all of them at random.