Msd Distributors 96-00 sbc Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Postmech

Reaction score
I have two 98's , a k1500 with a 383 and a Silverado with a Pull a part 350. Never had a problem with distributors, all they do is sync with crank sensor . A new cap and rotor , wires and plugs work wonders .

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently fixed a small backfire issue and got power and grunt back with a full accel set up... old distributor teeth were very worn too and start up is insanely quick! I did all of these parts at once: drop in dist., wires and iridium plugs. Truck (k2500 7.4 vortec) has never run better! Oh and dist. is half the price of MSD at 154 on holley website

ACCEL PERFORMANCE DISTRIBUTOR - 96-00 CHEVY VORTEC V-8
Direct drop in to replace the old plastic style distributor for GM Vortec engine vehicles.

PART# 59132

ACCEL Performance Distributors are the perfect choice for your daily driver or street machine, We know the importance of a good quality distributor that doesn't break the bank. These distributors feature a cast aluminum housing with a sintered bronze bushings for long life. An OEM style module is included along with a high-quality gear and cap with brass terminals for many miles of trouble-free service. ACCEL Performance Distributors are built to deliver performance at a value-based price. The quality of each part is backed up with a one year warranty! Supplied with Black Cap!
Features:
  • Direct Plug In Factory Replacement Plug And Play
  • All New Cast Aluminum Housings for durability
  • OEM Style Ignition Modules for Trouble-Free Service
  • High-Quality Distributor Gears
  • Long Sintered Bushings for Long Life
  • Distributor Cap w/Brass Terminals
  • Correct-a-cap type firing order
ACCEL IGNITION COIL - SUPERCOIL - GM VORTEC ENGINE 1996-2001 5.0/5.7/7.4L
This ACCEL GM HEI remote mount ignition coil is compatible with late model computer controlled remote mount HEI systems.

Engineered with optimized low resistance, high turns ratio windings around an M36 high silicone magnetic steel E-core for higher energy and voltage outputs. Results in quicker starts, improved idle quality, crisper throttle response and more high RPM power. Compatible with late model GM computer controlled remote mount HEI systems. Direct bolt-in, plug-in replacement. Can also work with CD ignition systems. Special high temperature epoxy resists shock and vibration, while increasing thermal conductivity. Brass coil wire contact increases energy transfer and resists corrosion better than aluminum. Comes complete with new mounting hardware. High dielectric strength ACCEL Yellow over molded housing. Output is 48,000 volts with 0.2 ohms resistance.
Features:
  • Direct Plug In Replacement Direct OE Fit
  • Advanced Bobbin Technology
  • Highly Specialized Silicone Magnetic Steel Cores
  • Standard Motor Products SMP Dr-49
  • MSD 8231

SPARK PLUG WIRE SET - EXTREME 9000 CERAMIC BOOT - CHEVY/GMC TRUCK 1996-2000 7.4L VORTEC
This custom fit extreme heat ceramic boot spark plug wire set fits Chevy/GMC Truck 7.4L Vortec engines 1996-2000.

ACCEL now offers the cure for burnt spark plug wire boots with Extreme 9000 Ceramic Wire kits. The 8mm Ferro-Spiral core wire now has ceramic boots on the spark plug end of the wires. The ceramic boots will withstand up to 2,000 degrees F. If you are running headers with close tolerances, have an engine bay with little room or an RV with boots that melt because of heat, these wire kits are the answer for burnt and melting boots. The wire uses a 500 Ohms/ft Ferro-Spiral core developed for performance use. It provides excellent energy delivery to the spark plugs, while providing the highest level of RFI/EMI suppression. The Extreme 9000 Ceramic Wires also feature stainless steel spark plug terminals for maximum spark energy to the plugs.
Features:
  • Ceramic boots withstand up to 2,000° Fahrenheit
  • 8mm double silicone construction black wire rated at 600° F rated
  • 500 Ohms/foot ferro sprial core offers the highest level of RFI/EMI suppression
  • Universal and custom fit applications

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dizzy is going out too. According to SMP, their distributors are made in their South Carolina plant, I am going to try one.
You must be registered for see images attach

The Blue Ox

Reaction score
Well I already ordered a new one from good ole jegs :peace: and it’s an accel product for half the price of a msd

Good choice! I’ve had my Accel distributor on for about 20 years with no problems! Same for my msd coil!
When you replace the cap and rotor when it wears out, be sure you replace it with a Accel or a borg Warner with the copper contacts on the cap!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have two 98's , a k1500 with a 383 and a Silverado with a Pull a part 350. Never had a problem with distributors, all they do is sync with crank sensor . A new cap and rotor , wires and plugs work wonders .

I have not been that lucky with them. My 97 Express van ate the distributor gear at about 80K and I noticed the distributor was about to snap in half from a crack in the housing. The one in my 99 Tahoe actually broke in half in about the same place. The stock housings in my experience are junk. Replaced both with an aluminum one from Rockauto that seemed to be of very good quality.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice product for the money although I did swap my stock GM cam sensors into them as I prefer OEM sensors.

Bloke

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is there any benefit, in just swapping out the distributor for a new one? I only have 139,*** miles on the truck, original one and no issues with the current one

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I wouldn’t swap it until you start to have issues.

My 98 got to where it wouldn’t start anytime it rained or had rained in the previous 24 hours. I did the Ol drill out the screen vents and numerous cap replacements with no luck.

Finally bought an aluminum dizzy from Carquest, and a black ACCELERATOR cap with BRASS contacts in it and that **** stopped!

upper_tanker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I also think that MSD is ****.

When I did my motor, I figured I might as well update everything to MSD since I thought that they were the best brand in that realm. I bought this one (https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...9-P?navigationPath=L1*14923|L2*15034|L3*16062) from Advance, along with the wires and coil. We got the motor back together, fired it up, and I was getting a healthy popping from the passenger side bank. I figured the valve lash was incorrect, so I adjusted the valves 4 separate times. After I decided that was not the issue, I probably spent another 2 hours on Google trying to figure it out. My dad's friend finally came down and we spent another hour trying different things. He finally told me to put on the old dist. cap that I pulled off the old motor. That was the problem. A BRAND NEW MSD cap was my issue. So, I went and bought another MSD cap and put that on. I **** you not, SAME THING happened, right out of the box. Two brand new MSD caps failed. I finally just bought a new Delco cap and it's been on it ever since. From the popping, I had to replace the header gasket too. Nice.

Now, I'm just wondering when another MSD component will fail. I have about 5k miles on the motor since the build, and I'm sure that if it happens, it will be at a bad time like it always is.