Longevity of OEM distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have enough to do without looking for additional work. Especially on components that are operating flawlessly. Aside from picking up a few known good coil/ICM mounted on their bracket (an excellent diagnostic tool), and another known good distributor. In 190,000 miles, I've replaced a cam sensor and a cap/rotor in 25 years. If it malfunctions? I'll cross that bridge then. It's not as if there isn't other preventative maintenance that could also pay dividends like flushing out old brake fluid (some never do), gear oil, transfer cases, etc.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent condition othervise. No slop in the bushings , gear looks real nice etc. Can I get a new magnet somewhere?
New magnet comes riveted to a new mainshaft assembly.

They used to be available from GM and the aftermarket. I haven't been looking since I bought some spares years ago. Maybe there's still some out there.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
New magnet comes riveted to a new mainshaft assembly.

They used to be available from GM and the aftermarket. I haven't been looking since I bought some spares years ago. Maybe there's still some out there.
I wondered as well, discontinued by GM at this point.

Summit lists an AC Delco 10467353 for $140 but it's "not in stock" - estimated ship date 02/22/2024. Same part at Jegs listed for $207 with ship date of 12/27/2023...

NAPA has one.. for $211 !!! Echlin DG613 (looked up for a TBI small block.) What's odd is it's clearly a main shaft, magnet, and rotor - but it's referred to as a "gear and pin kit."

Rock lists Standard DG43 for $162 and appears to actually be in stock (maybe?) -- by the way, listed as a "distributor pickup pole"

Richard

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit lists an AC Delco 10467353...

...Echlin DG613 (looked up for a TBI small block.) What's odd is it's clearly a main shaft, magnet, and rotor - but it's referred to as a "gear and pin kit."

Rock lists Standard DG43
Yep. At least one of my purchases was listed as a "gear and pin kit". Standard Motor Products (SMP) owns Echlin, the parts are probably the same.

Thanks for the reminder of the part numbers.

V6 items will of course be different than V8, owing to the two additional points on the "star wheel"/reluctor.

The first I learned about cracked magnets was when my '88 K1500 died 300 miles from home. The Chevy dealer put a new mainshaft in the distributor, which fixed what had started-out as a high-speed misfire but got lower- and lower-speed until it wouldn't run at all.

The Genuine GM mainshaft also included a rotor, as did at least some of the still-in-the-box aftermarket replacements.

My suspicion--with no evidence--is that the aftermarket was either buying Genuine GM mainshafts-plus-rotors, and reboxing; or the aftermarket (SMP, perhaps) were supplying GM to begin with, and just put some of them into boxes labeled for the "house brands"--SMP, Echlin, GP Sorenson, BWD, etc. instead of GM/Delco boxes.

Which likely explains that when GM discontinued the mainshafts, the aftermarket also disco'd at about the same time. I think any still available are NOS, unsold stock loitering around in the back rooms of various parts suppliers.

But I've been wrong before.

Last edited: