Longevity of OEM distributor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. There's not much point to calling, I think we all know what the answer will be.

Not that the answer makes much difference, because the Federal Trade Commission which should be monitoring/regulating this, is more of an industry lapdog, than a consumer watchdog.

Wild Guess: The distributor housings for pretty-much all of these distributors are cast and machined in the same Chinese factory. Notice that they've all been cut for O-rings down by the distributor gear even though GM never did that.

I think they're all or nearly-all coming from the same factory, and MAYBE some resellers are putting better modules and caps on them (or maybe they're just putting fancy stickers on the junk modules.)
Spot on @Schurkey.
You must be registered for see images attach

Messaged them about an hour ago. I guess if you’re not actually manufacturing distributors you have ample time to respond to messages.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say that for $100.00 more than an UMP

You get MAYBE a US assembled distributor, with MAYBE better parts. Like, a Genuine GM Drive Gear…maybe.

This is photo of DUI.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just bought a second hand but NIB Chinesium distributor for $62. :rolleyes:
If possible my plan A is to use that shaft in an old but refurbished GM dizzy. Plan B is to use as is but take it apart first to replace/fix what ever looks iffy and then put to use but with all AC delco/Gm pickup, module, gear, rotor and Cap.

There will eventually/hopefully be pics of the clusterfunkery here in this very thread. :)

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will say that for $100.00 more than an UMP

You get MAYBE a US assembled distributor, with MAYBE better parts. Like, a Genuine GM Drive Gear…maybe.

This is photo of DUI.

The dui gear is melonized, notice the pebble texture..

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just bought a second hand but NIB Chinesium distributor for $62. :rolleyes:
If possible my plan A is to use that shaft in an old but refurbished GM dizzy. Plan B is to use as is but take it apart first to replace/fix what ever looks iffy and then put to use but with all AC delco/Gm pickup, module, gear, rotor and Cap.

There will eventually/hopefully be pics of the clusterfunkery here in this very thread. :)
They sell them new on eBay for $45.00. I have one to compare stuff to. Drove once around the block, took it out. Sounds like a 671 blower running, the way it has a high pitched whine noise lol

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
They sell them new on eBay for $45.00. I have one to compare stuff to. Drove once around the block, took it out. Sounds like a 671 blower running, the way it has a high pitched whine noise lol
A 6-71? Or... an SSP racer? :)

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Melonizing" is about a thousandth of an inch thick.

"Pebble texture" just means they didn't machine that part of the gear. It may or may not be Melonized.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no idea If the one I bought is better or maybe even worse....:p
Looks slightly different though.

Attachments

• 549293285_c0249d9e-54a1-48ad-882d-c92d8eb392aa.jpg
    549293285_c0249d9e-54a1-48ad-882d-c92d8eb392aa.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 8
  • 549293285_3a593e61-cca2-425f-9f56-7fcedbc6cc71.jpg
    549293285_3a593e61-cca2-425f-9f56-7fcedbc6cc71.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 8