Distributor recommendation - 1990 K3500 454 Manual

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrhthrd

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I recently bought a beautiful 1990 K3500 w/ 454 & 4 sp manual and 70,000 original miles. The previous owner used it to tow his race car, and added an RV cam, headers and edelbrock manifold under the stock EFI, otherwise it appears stock. It runs ok, but acceleration is not smooth, even after plugs, wires, cap & rotor. At this age/miles, and after a bit of reading, I'm inclined to replace the distributor, fuel pump/filter and the fuel injector itself. The 454 will eventually get new heads for better flow, but likely won't exceed 500HP or 5000RPM.

Looking for distributors, I see several with a coil in the cap. My truck has a separate coil. Are these interchangeable? Can anyone recommend a great distributor for this mild build?

Thanks for your thoughts/advice!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have been running United Motor Products distributors in all of my trucks for a few years with no complaints. Rock auto usually carries them, part number 9366 $115.99.