Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CWG_1995

Reaction score
Hey all, I have an 89 C3500 with the peanut port 454 I’m trying to get a little bit more power out of it for towing, others have recommended a new cam and fuel pump, I guess I’m wondering what cam would be good to add reliable power for an engine that’s only duty will be towing and hauling. I was also told I would need to figure out a way to tune it so any help there would be appreciated as well, and if you have any other recommendations all are welcome

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to your first post on the forum. What is the gear in the differential? Please list all your "G" RPO codes off the sticker in the glove compartment.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
89 C3500 with the peanut port 454
The older Mark IV version of the BBC. Has adjustable rocker arms, which will be nice for upgrading the cam--although doing that right will mean roller cam and aftermarket roller lifters--not inexpensive.

I’m trying to get a little bit more power out of it for towing, others have recommended a new cam and fuel pump
Is there something wrong with the fuel pump? Have you tested fuel pressure/volume?

Similarly, a proper and COMPLETE tune-up--cap, rotor, plug wires, spark plugs, verify initial ignition timing and electronic spark advance including knock-sensor, EGR system, PCV system, air filter, fuel filter, and so forth, may restore "missing" power you should already have.

I was also told I would need to figure out a way to tune it so any help there would be appreciated as well, and if you have any other recommendations all are welcome
I can't help with "tuning" except to say that there are others on here with experience and suggestions.