Long tube mid pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mhenry1282

Reaction score
Searched and haven't found one, is there an off the shelf h or x pipe for long tubes? 90 rcsb with 5.7 tbi, cold air intake, and hypertech chip. Picked the headers up used and cheap, heads hopefully in the near future. I'd prefer an h pipe if one is available. Don't have an exhaust shop close by, I'd rather not have to drive that far with open headers! Hard to believe with as popular as these trucks are getting that there aren't more options. Any help would be appreciated!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"Off the shelf" implies a commonly used, highly sought after, or OE part. Seeing as NONE of our trucks came with any semblance of dual exhaust, due to clearance issues with transmission, fuel tank location, emissions laws, etc. Any dual exhaust system would be custom.
Custom means NOT using many, if any, OE exhaust pipes or parts. Besides, GM didnt use H pipes in any of their dual exhaust systems from the factory anyway.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
There are universal "H" "X" and "Y" pipes available @ Summit Racing How much power is the engine going to make? Going too big will kill the torque and too small will strangle the engine @ top RPM. Not "Lie to my buddies" power but real honest Horsepower. I fix this every day @ work.

Mhenry1282

Reaction score
There are universal "H" "X" and "Y" pipes available @ Summit Racing How much power is the engine going to make? Going too big will kill the torque and too small will strangle the engine @ top RPM. Not "Lie to my buddies" power but real honest Horsepower. I fix this every day @ work.
This motor won't see a whole lot more, maybe a top end. Got the headers for $40, so I figured I'd grab them. When I eventually do a new motor, I'll get a good set of headers. I was thinking of 2.25 or 2.5" with an H pipe for this setup.

Illegal. Won't get past EPA without a giant heap of R&D by the manufacturer.

Therefore "universal" is all you're likely to find.
They sell def, and egr delete kits for off-road diesels everyday, so it's obviously doable. I can also go buy at least 3 different catless headers for my 2020 motorcycle.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
A single 3 or dual 2.25 is fine from around 300 to 400 HP at the flywheel.
A single 4 or dual 2.5 are from 400 to 500 at the flywheel.

These aren't black and white absolutes but generally work well.

With the SBC firing order cylinders 7,4,3, and 2 are compromised on dual exhaust due to the firing order. An h pipe helps 7 and 4 and an x or a y help 2 and 3 as well.

Dual 2.25" pipes have almost the same cross sectional area as a single 3" pipe but have almost double the wall friction. More surface area also cools the exhaust gasses which slows them down (admittedly a very small effect).

A merge pipe will make the exhaust quieter due to reduced pressure.

The X and Y pipes make it sound even quieter than it is because the higher frequency (the frequency doubles) sounds quieter to the human ear.

A merge pipe will also change the sound. An H pipe smoothes out the exhaust note but it sounds much the same as a dual exhaust. An X or Y pipe changes the tone dramatically and gives it a smoother "sweeter" higher pitched exhaust note almost as if you gained 500 rpm.

My Firebird gained around 40 HP putting an X pipe on and half a dozen co-workers wanted to know what mufflers I put on because it sounded much better. The mufflers never came off the car.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How are 3 and 2 "compromised on dual exhaust"?

7 dumps into the same collector immediately after 5; (two sequential odd-bank cylinders) 4 dumps into the same collector immediately after 8 (two sequential even-bank cylinders.) But 3 and 2 I don't understand.

Mhenry1282

Reaction score
A single 3 or dual 2.25 is fine from around 300 to 400 HP at the flywheel.
A single 4 or dual 2.5 are from 400 to 500 at the flywheel.

These aren't black and white absolutes but generally work well.

With the SBC firing order cylinders 7,4,3, and 2 are compromised on dual exhaust due to the firing order. An h pipe helps 7 and 4 and an x or a y help 2 and 3 as well.

Dual 2.25" pipes have almost the same cross sectional area as a single 3" pipe but have almost double the wall friction. More surface area also cools the exhaust gasses which slows them down (admittedly a very small effect).

A merge pipe will make the exhaust quieter due to reduced pressure.

The X and Y pipes make it sound even quieter than it is because the higher frequency (the frequency doubles) sounds quieter to the human ear.

A merge pipe will also change the sound. An H pipe smoothes out the exhaust note but it sounds much the same as a dual exhaust. An X or Y pipe changes the tone dramatically and gives it a smoother "sweeter" higher pitched exhaust note almost as if you gained 500 rpm.

My Firebird gained around 40 HP putting an X pipe on and half a dozen co-workers wanted to know what mufflers I put on because it sounded much better. The mufflers never came off the car.
Thanks for the input. I've always preferred the sound of an h pipe over an x, I'll probably go that route with dynomax super turbos. Nice deep tone, but not too loud.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw I have a universal 2.5 magnaflow x-pipe on my car, 2.5 pipe out to stock mufflers and tips. Loud and deep.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I did longtubes on my Z06 I also went from stock H pipe to an X. The X is a lot higher pitched, I really like it on the Corvette.