What Long Tube Headers For LS Swapped '94 Silverado?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
Like the title says... I'm interested in WHICH long tube headers fit my 2 wheel drive, LS swapped, 1994 Silverado, Step-side, single cab, short bed?

I ordered the Schoenfeld 1301LS headers from Summit yesterday... but my experience has always been that even after doing all my research, then making a purchase decision, that immediately AFTER buying something someone pipes up and says "oh, you shoulda got XYZ (part) as they are sooooo much better!"... So, now that I've ordered a set of new headers, tell me which stainless headers, or coated headers, will fit my truck as a direct bolt in with no bashing, bending, or modding... I'm sure someone will have a suggestion now that I've pulled the trigger... It never fails. At least I have not opened the new headers yet so I can still ship them back.

Or, if what I got was the best option... how do I go about removing the TRASH paint that comes on them so that I can paint them with something more sustainable?

I've heard that F-body headers will fit... some say the 99-06 gm/gmc truck headers will fit... but there is NO ONE posting that they have actually done it, and had them fit.. people just talking about doing it.. If I could get an off-the-shelf set of LONG tube headers, that are stainless, or ceramic coated, I would buy them immediately. Please... someone with direct personal experience.. Chime in and let me know.. I've already got the Schoenfelds coming so now is the perfect time to switch up the plan! Thank you to any/all that come across this post. I promise I WILL post back and let you guys know how the header swap went...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way to successfully remove all the garbage paint is to use a media blaster. You can't get into all the nooks and crannies with emory cloth. I used high-temp header paint on WCJr, but if I were to do it again I'd probably take my headers across town to HPC. I'm kinda ticked you can't buy headers bare. I think that cheap paint they use is just to prevent you painting them yourself. For a couple bucks more they could have painted them with the cheap high-temp paint I wanted.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone recommends the Schoenfelds, for whatever that's worth.

I'm running the stock manifolds on mine, and they fit really well into an OBS engine compartment.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
EVERY post I've read about the Speedway engineering headers is that they DO NOT FIT... With that said, I even called Speedway Engineering directly-just to see if they had something that would bolt in-and they told me "WE HAVE NO LONG TUBE HEADERS THAT WILL FIT YOUR TRUCK" directly.... Please... STOP posting about Speedway Engineering as they DO NOT FIT OUR 2 wheel drive LS swapped TRUCKS.. PERIOD. End of story. They are OUT.... Speedway Engineering has NOTHING to fit 2 wheel drive, 1988-1998 OBS/Chevy/GMC/CM trucks... For anyone that finds this post... as of the date of this post Speedway Engineering DOES NOT HAVE long tube headers that will fit our trucks. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME considering, looking at, thinking about, wondering about, Speedway Engineering because they DO NOT FIT... They DO NOT FIT.. Repeat it with me-THEY DO NOT FIT. You will need something OTHER THAN Speedway Engineering.. In case you are still on the fence Speedway Engineering has NOTHING that fits 2 wheel drive, LS swapped trucks, for the years of 1988 through 1998... Still confused? I can't help you.... call them directly and let them explain it...

I've got the Schoenfelds coming... but wanted something stainless, or ceramic coated... I guess once they burn off the cheap *** rattle can crap that is on them, I will attempt to douse them in something else.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
I got the headers in yesterday. Opened them right away. First impressions; 1. The flange where the bolts hold it to the head is a little on the thin side. 2. The headers are already missing about 30% of the paint. The shipping box wiped it all off in every spot that there was contact. This is TRASH paint... by trash I think Dawn and a plastic brush could take it off. 3. The tube shape is really pretty good. Not a bad looking set of headers but they need to be stripped completely and painted right away. I've gotta find a company that will blast them.. After that... anybody got any ideas where I could get them ceramic coated, or some type of paint that will hold up? I want them to look "pretty" ha ha ha..

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick google search. Ask around to see who's had experience with these companies. My guess is that with as many Houstonians as we have on the board, at least one of them has had experience with at least one of these companies. If not, you get to be the guinea pig and report back.

Kawabuggy

Reaction score
I was referred to Polymer Dynamics by my local machine shop. Spoke to them yesterday and was quoted $415 for ceramic coating. Going to drop them off on Monday if I can get free from work. Coating gonna run MORE than the headers. There should be more/better options for these trucks. It's not like we are the first, or only, ones to LS swap them.

Forgot to mention, I ordered and received some 3" V band clamps and have already welded one side to the end of the slip headers. I was told to do this BEFORE bringing them in for coating.

Last edited: