Just wanna tow a 2000lb. Trailer up a hill..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your tires are too tall. ;o)
This is an engine designed to pull. None of that sissyfied tbi stuff. And, it'll run a hundred at 3000 RPM. All day. By golly.
I will take my leave now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach
Somewhat reminds me of the lump of iron I have under the hood of my 99 Tahoe. It has a 8.1 496 with the GM HO marine cam. Cam and headers give it 450 hp @ 5,100 and 550 tq @ 3,600 rpm. The Tahoe has 3.42 gears and a 4L80E with 32" tall P305/50R20s. Cruises 100 @ 2,700 rpm. The low geared, stalled 6,200 rpm 383 will destroy it in acceleration from a stop though.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
op, best and cheapest route to answer your question is to keep her stock. put on dyno and discover where your bottleneck is. correct the problem and then gear to achieve your goal. much cheaper (and more reliable) than adding a ton of junk or listening to internet newbies that will take you down a long, bank draining road.
most tq UNDER 3000 rpm will win the towing war every time.

best conversation you can have is talking to your local hotshot drivers.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for asking! I like that "big butt" look of a dually. Still, this is one way to tow heavy at 75...and it ain't a 'Dodge'. Its a Ram.

They used to be made by Dodge but unfortunately they are made by Fiat now,:Caffeine:

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They used to be made by Dodge but unfortunately they are made by Fiat now,:Caffeine:

The only people that could possibly be worse with reliability (than dodge) are the Italians. Sounds like a good idea... Prepare for LIMP MODE!!!

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. The electronics are all FCA. At least the trucks are made in USofA. Another thing is that I have modified (just slightly of course) many of the common limp mode components. If it goes into limp mode I guarantee something else will soon be "missing". Limp mode will be promptly dealt with. With the crap on and in the dash, I can see it going into limp if it does so. I monitor in real time all sorts of data streams. Alarms on some. Had similar on my 'burb. If it takes a crap, before it stopped rolling you had some good idea what might need attention. It did that once when the HEI came unplugged. Tach dropped, but fuel pressure was normal as it rolled. Fixed in 30 seconds. Hardest part was getting to it without a ladder.
Alas, stuff happens. Burb proved very dependable. And a lot more useful as a daily driver. . I hate cranking the Cummins just to run down for a MickeyDs...
Cheers

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only people that could possibly be worse with reliability (than dodge) are the Italians. Sounds like a good idea... Prepare for LIMP MODE!!!

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was over at the Ram site puffin' my chest up about my Chebbie!:boxing:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
op, best and cheapest route to answer your question is to keep her stock. put on dyno and discover where your bottleneck is. correct the problem and then gear to achieve your goal. much cheaper (and more reliable) than adding a ton of junk or listening to internet newbies that will take you down a long, bank draining road.
most tq UNDER 3000 rpm will win the towing war every time.

best conversation you can have is talking to your local hotshot drivers.

Not uphill it won't! Atleast on a long sustained grade with a gasser. You will be in a lower gear in the 4,000+ rpm range with any appreciable weight. My torque curve is very flat but it peaks around 4,000 rpm. You can have 500 ft/lbs at 3,000 but I would take my 500 ft/lbs at 4,000. I will be making 25% more HP than you and be far ahead of you up that long hill.

Redneckgeriatric

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
howsa bout 500 ft lbs (yeah, wishful thinking for the OP) at 2000 rpm? its all relevant. an engine builder understands. look at the goal, and build vehicle to meet that goal. its always about money, and common sense. and never about narcissism

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
howsa bout 500 ft lbs (yeah, wishful thinking for the OP) at 2000 rpm? its all relevant. an engine builder understands. look at the goal, and build vehicle to meet that goal. its always about money, and common sense. and never about narcissism
I agree! Which is why in all of my posts above I said the biggest improvement will come from a lower gear ratio. To be able to get the most out of the engine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only people that could possibly be worse with reliability (than dodge) are the Italians.
Holy crap, if you think the Italians are bad, just wait til they merge with PSA.

The Italians are known for reasonable engineering, coupled to ****** development )poor reliability) and no parts availability. Once you FIX their faults, the cars become pretty adequate, and almost always fun-to-drive compared to the competition.

The French have the same ****** development, the same ****** parts availability, and the most LSD-inspired "engineering" you could imagine. If there's three decent ways to do something, the French will find at least two other ways that are so crazy they will give you migraines.

IF (big IF) the vehicle will actually run and drive, it'll be wonderfully comfortable on rough roads, though. Slow as a Volkswagen with two plug wires missing, but comfortable.

Chrysler + PSA = another bankruptcy. And when it comes, it'll be a blessing.