Just wanna tow a 2000lb. Trailer up a hill..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1992 Chevy 4x4, 350 tbi, 700r4, 373 gears... Long story short a very small single axle trailer with a side-by-side on it going to the deer lease at 75 miles an hour by the time I get to the top of the hill I’m doing maybe 50. I don’t care about going fast I just want this thing to have enough torque to be able to pull a small 2000 pound trailer of a hill without being such a turd. Help please.. tips, suggestions, part combinations etc. please and thank all of you very much. A little history the truck has 250,000 miles on the engine and transmission. I know that’s half the problem those two items are being removed and will be replaced with one that has 12,000 miles on them both.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1992 Chevy 4x4, 350 tbi, 700r4, 373 gears... Long story short a very small single axle trailer with a side-by-side on it going to the deer lease at 75 miles an hour by the time I get to the top of the hill I’m doing maybe 50. I don’t care about going fast I just want this thing to have enough torque to be able to pull a small 2000 pound trailer of a hill without being such a turd. Help please.. tips, suggestions, part combinations etc. please and thank all of you very much. A little history the truck has 250,000 miles on the engine and transmission. I know that’s half the problem those two items are being removed and will be replaced with one that has 12,000 miles on them both.
You could try straight piping your cat's and a tune. Depending on your state of course, if you have to do emissions testing that would kill that idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I had headers and full exhaust on my 88 C1500. I had my snowmobile in the bed and flat towed my 92 Crown Victoria from MI to SD at interstate speeds in 3rd gear. I don't remember losing to any hills with that setup. Sounds like something isn't quite right with yours, how's your fuel pressure? Should be 12-13.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question no idea. I figured part of it had to do with the incredible amount of miles on the engine. Just farting around town it runs great it’s smooth as glass. As far as emission stuff I don’t care there is a test here for that in Texas however the vehicle is old enough it’s exempt from all that stuff.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought you might be in Texas, emissions being out if the picture means you're better off than me, I'm 2 years away from being able to remove my cats. The miles might have something to do with it, no doubt. I'd run a couple tests and a tune up to see if you could get by without doing a full overhaul like you planned. Start with the basics, fuel pressure (previously mentioned), vacuum, and compression tests, while you're testing compression check the plugs and wires, and the distributor cap just for thoroughness, but I'm leaning towards compression or fuel pressure being the problem. With the TBI, even a couple pounds of pressure makes a huge difference in power at the top end, while still remaining driveable around town.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate that information thank you. However the engine and transmission I was going to do anyway. I’m getting the pair with only 12,000 miles on them for $750 it’s kind of hard to turn that down. So I guess what I’m looking for is what to do to the new engine to give a little more power before I put it in the truck.

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently did a full tuneup on the motor a few days ago. The cap Rotor and plugs were definitely needed to be changed however after doing so it ran smoother but not any stronger.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, yes, that's a good deal. What's your budget?

Txlock

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheap as possible?? The truth of the matter is I bought this truck thinking I wasn’t going to have to do anything to up the performance. I definitely wasn’t plan on changing the motor. However it was a big surprise the first time I drove to the deer lease and could barely pull a trailer up the hill. I really not trying to make this thing fast just enough torque to pull A two seater side-by-side on a single axle trailer.