In Spec.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The correct answer for the right idle speed for a Vortec is whatever the commanded idle speed displayed by the PCM.
Well if what Dash Command says is correct then my idle speed is 650. Not disagreeing, but it does seem strange that a 96 5.7 truck is 650 and a 98 5.7 truck is 550. Seems like big difference.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well if what Dash Command says is correct then my idle speed is 650. Not disagreeing, but it does seem strange that a 96 5.7 truck is 650 and a 98 5.7 truck is 550. Seems like big difference.

I just looked and my stock 2002 0411 Van PCM read, 625 on it. My 99 Tahoe and my brothers 99 Suburban were both 600. I have atleast a dozen stock calibration reads on these L31s.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just looked and my stock 2002 0411 Van PCM read, 625 on it. My 99 Tahoe and my brothers 99 Suburban were both 600. I have atleast a dozen stock calibration reads on these L31s.
By chance you have one for 96?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the learning curve men!
:patriot: Throttle body would like to thank you as well, she got an extra ******(dewsh).
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow up, I had emailed BlackBear 3 weeks ago, asking them to confirm what my “Commanded Idle” was. They just responded and it is 650 rpm(in gear, at temp.). And that’s what I’ve got.
So that email confirmed it is 650, at temp in gear. Ok, I figured that was what pcm was originally tuned with.
Then out of the blue I get this from Black Bear yesterday.
“We bump it up slightly to ensure a smooth idle. Factory RPM is often too low for smooth operation. It is still programmed to be lower in gear than park/neutral”.
Kinda seems strange they would do that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is still programmed to be lower in gear than park/neutral”.
Kinda seems strange they would do that.
Lower idle speed in gear provides feedback that the vehicle is in fact in gear, and as a bonus the lower idle speed limits "creep" when the vehicle is stopped. Higher idle in park/neutral assures that the engine doesn't stall when put in gear. The IAC can't react that fast, so if the idle speed was always low, you'd have a drop in RPM until the IAC could recover, potentially stalling the engine. If idle speed was always high, the vehicle would need excessive braking when stopped at a stop light.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC, before tune, it was about 640 at temp, in gear. There were no issues then. I would say idle at temp, in park is about 678 and seems a bit high when shifting into drive.

The Salmon

Reaction score
I replaced the distributor on my 1999 Yukon making sure I was at TDC. It slipped right in and the vehicle is running great. However, upon checking the offset I am at -2.31 degrees. Does the .31 make a difference? The distributor I purchased had the hold down clamp attached so it can only go on the dizzy one way and is hard to remove. Therefore, I cannot really twist the dizzy to get to 0 degrees. Should I go through the hassle of trying to pry off the hold down bracket and replacing it to get that .31 degrees off?

w/clamp

Attachments

• Distributor 1999 GMC Yukon.jpg
    Distributor 1999 GMC Yukon.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1