In Spec.?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the distributor on my 1999 Yukon making sure I was at TDC. It slipped right in and the vehicle is running great. However, upon checking the offset I am at -2.31 degrees. Does the .31 make a difference? The distributor I purchased had the hold down clamp attached so it can only go on the dizzy one way and is hard to remove. Therefore, I cannot really twist the dizzy to get to 0 degrees. Should I go through the hassle of trying to pry off the hold down bracket and replacing it to get that .31 degrees off?

w/clamp
There was just a recent thread on this issue, IIRC the fix was to use the OEM clamp.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the distributor on my 1999 Yukon making sure I was at TDC. It slipped right in and the vehicle is running great. However, upon checking the offset I am at -2.31 degrees. Does the .31 make a difference? The distributor I purchased had the hold down clamp attached so it can only go on the dizzy one way and is hard to remove. Therefore, I cannot really twist the dizzy to get to 0 degrees. Should I go through the hassle of trying to pry off the hold down bracket and replacing it to get that .31 degrees off?

w/clamp
Welcome and great question. I'd say if it's running well and no related CEL (shouldn't be one) I'd leave it alone.

There was just a recent thread on this issue, IIRC the fix was to use the OEM clamp.
Yep! The hold-down clamp for a TBI application.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not dick with the distributor to correct a .31 out-of-spec error.

But if that distributor ever came out for some other reason, I'd sure as hell knock that craptastic motion-limiting hold-down bracket off of it and use a decent one.

The Salmon

Reaction score
That's what I thought about the -.31 degrees, just wanted some verification. I knew I should have knocked off that hold down bracket and just used the old OEM one!!!!