If it were your truck ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raje

Reaction score
Well, I don’t have a 454ss but got a shorty 88 c1500 that I shoved a 496 stroker and a powerglide, stall and soon to be putting a locker in the axle

Reaction score
If it were mine, and god I wish it was! I would run a Holley HP engine management on it and put a set of PROMAXX cylinder heads. 2 things that make the LS so freaking awesome (warning personal opinions to follow) is the heads flow stupid high numbers from the factory and engine management is able to adjust timing on the fly at any RPM. With pro-maxx heads they are affordable nad flow pretty well outta the box and the holley EFI would give you the drive-ability. If you are ever going to upgrade to an electronic transmission though I would run the Holley Dominator since it can control a trans as well.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blueprint engines 598 (short deck) with alum heads and 230-236 cam and holley EFI.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes if it was my truck l would stay with a big block. A lot can be done with these engines, sometimes for a bit less $$$ than the LS series. My family has a '06 GMC Yukon XL Denali with the 6.0 and it was a great truck when we first got it. Then once it got around 160K on the clock, stuff started messing up on it and I don't want to have to throw gallons of money at it to fix everything. Only thing it wouldn't pass was a gas station, but it won't keep good oil pressure and the 4L80e tells me it's overheating when it's still in Park on a cold day. And on a good day it gets worse mileage than my 99 vortec 5.7 suburban.

Madscientist

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Personal experience with lots of motors and swapping and going many different ways, i would keep the big block in it. That motor would be very reliable and if it were mine I would put a top end on it. A decent set of aluminum heads and a good street cam. Something in a @.050 duration 235° the big cubes would eat that up and run smoothly. The money should be spent on a good multi port fuel injection and dump the tbi. You could go carb too but i would lean twords FI. Your not trans planting motors and saving a buttload of time on wiring and mounts and what not. I would keep the 700r4. They can be made to hold power. Just take it so someone who knows how to set them up. If you dont set the TV cable correctly, you will burn it out. Good looking truck and good luck with what you decide on!

Spookers

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If it were my truck, I'd start off by checking over the current engine to see if its good enough shape to put an aluminum top end on it, on a budget I'd try speedmaster 396 heads and an airgap dual plane intake and a set of domed pistons for between 9:1 and 10:1, personally id carb it but holley does make some nice stand alone efi units that'll make it easy, personally id swap in a tko 600 trans with a .64 Od, if you want to stay auto a shift kitted 4l80e is where I'd go, and rear end wise there's a few options, the 12 bolt already there should be decent but I would swap in gears between 2.42 and 3.08 for tires I'd run 29-30" tall 10-12 wide out back. Will also want track bars. The end result should be something that purrs (like 1200rpm @ 60mph purrs) done the road and get decent fuel economy that can rip tires for days and scare some people