If it were your truck ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for future reference I ask this*****
My truck is a true SS454 1990, everything indicates that, vin#, running gear etc. although the oem motor is long gone it is still a BBC, with a 700R4 trans and it runs oK, not fast by any means thou and I don't know what the motor has inside of it. I guess I could have it rebuilt with a top end kit if it were the original block, but it isn't. Horsepower is the object obviously and the cost when all is said and one is pretty close to a GM Performance Complete motor with warranty !!!!
Having said that (and if I get the OK from Momma lol) I would really like to go with a fresh motor, such as a ZZ454 so that it at least keeps in form with a BBC. Seems the motor to choose install wise also.
But I have had a Corvette (just sold it) with the LS3 and that motor is so smooth and performs so well and so reliable that it is a possibility, the obvious draw back is everything will have to be changed, EVERYTHING. And I lose that identity that a BBC would lend the truck and that means something to me and I would assume that for resale it would also.
So dare I ask opinions on this, thats asking for a lot of pro & con I know but data from the trucking world is what I want. What better place than an open forum to get it eh :confused:
So thanks for your thoughts :D
Bobby V
PS IMHO the truck is turning out well enough to warrant this expenditure

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it were my truck, the first thing I'd think about is getting rid of that 700R4. Adding any more power/ torque than you already have in front of that transmission is a recipe for disaster in my honest opinion.

Personally I would do a 6.0L LQ4 and a 4L80E. That's the combo I'm working towards in my red '97, unless I decide to go with a newer LT V8.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
I have a 1990 ECSB LQ9/4L65E and I adore it. It runs so great, smooth, and has plenty of power and fuel efficiency. I love an LS-based engine as much as any enthusiast. That said... on a 454 SS, especially one as beautiful as yours, I'd personally be more inclined to go with a big badass ram jet big block. If it did belong to me, what I would do is either a 454 or 502 with a built TH400 and gear vendors overdrive behind it.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im old school, so a BBK is what I would do. If money was no issue, maybe a 632. 800+ HP rite out of the box is hard to beat. But if its i driver, then a 502 is a nice choice. Since you already have a BBK, I would find out what it is ( run the numbers) and take it from there. As for the 700R4, well you can always have it built to hold a lot of HP, but if you get above 500 HP, that may be an issue. I have seen an old Vette with dual turbos pushing over 1200 HP and it has a 200R4. So it is possible to build a small trans to hold a lot of HP. Here is a video on the vette.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media